Vietnam's Ministry of Health has highlighted the reasons behind the steep decrease in coronavirus-related deaths in Ho Chi Minh City.
Although the number of COVID-19 fatalities in the southern metropolis is still the highest in the country, it has dropped significantly since August.
Ho Chi Minh City recorded up to 340 deaths a day in mid-August, according to Deputy Minister of Health Nguyen Truong Son.
That number is now under 50 a day, Son continued, adding that the overall number of coronavirus-related deaths nationwide has also fallen to double-digits per day.
|An infographic by Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper shows COVID-19 deaths in Ho Chi Minh City decreasing from August 23 to October 20.|
The health official attributed the achievement to the city's three-level treatment system, which allows hospitals to focus more on treating the seriously ill.
The decision to quarantine and treat patients with mild symptoms at home also proved effective, easing a lot of pressure on health workers at treatment facilities.
Lowering COVID-19 mortality rates has become the top priority in Vietnam's fight against the pandemic, Son stated, adding that reducing the death rate in Ho Chi Minh City is vital in this effort.
Since the fourth outbreak began on April 27, Ho Chi Minh City has recorded more than 426,000 local infections, about half of the country's tally in this flare-up.
The number of coronavirus-related deaths in the southern city has also accounted for about 80 percent of the country's total, the official elaborated.
The number of COVID-19 hospitalizations in the metropolis remains high, with thousands needing oxygen and breathing support, he added.
As of Monday afternoon, health authorities in Ho Chi Minh City had administered over 12.7 million vaccine doses.
About 5.6 million out of more than nine million people in the city have been fully vaccinated.
- Limited supply causing price hikes around Ho Chi Minh City
- Ho Chi Minh City looks to develop sea-based economy
- Ho Chi Minh City should be focus of strategy to double Vietnam-Australia investment: ambassador
- Ho Chi Minh City, Slovakia’s Bratislava region enhance ties
- Ho Chi Minh City plans incineration of 3,750 pigs after exposure to sedatives
- Ho Chi Minh City lures over US$6 billion in FDI ten months
- Ho Chi Minh City residents rush to receive swine flu shots
- Dialogue with young OVs held in Ho Chi Minh City
- Book street festival opens in Ho Chi Minh City
- Ho Chi Minh City conducts disaster drill for hypothetical storm
- LGBT members join pride parade in Ho Chi Minh City
- Beethoven concert to entertain Ho Chi Minh City audience on August 3
- Ho Chi Minh Stock Exchange develops new index for foreign-ownership-limited firms
- “Cities within cities” becoming more prevalent across Vietnam
- Limited supply causing price hikes around HCM City
- 19 people rescued from hotel fire in HCM City
- HCM City treasures ties with Cambodia
- HCM City’s climate to worsen by 2050
- HCM City Customs seize drugs sent from Europe
- Russia’s October Revolution anniversary marked in HCM City
What made COVID-19 deaths decrease in Ho Chi Minh City? have 512 words, post on vietnamlife.tuoitrenews.vn at October 26, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.