Hanoi (VNA) – The loosening of social distancing measures and increasing global demand have opened up great opportunities for Vietnamese rice exporters , according to experts.
Statistics from the General Department of Vietnam Customs showed that Vietnam enjoyed growth in rice exports in three consecutive months, with month-on-month rises of 19 percent in volume and 20.5 percent in value recorded in September.
Compared to the same period last year, rice exports in September rose 54.5 percent in volume to 593,624 tonnes with value of 293.15 million USD.
In the January-September period, Vietnam shipped abroad 4.57 million tonnes of rice, earning 2.42 billion USD, down 8.3 percent in volume and 1.2 percent in value. However, the price of Vietnamese rice rose 7.8 percent in the period.
Experts attributed the drops to impacts of COVID-19 to the harvesting and transport of rice in the Mekong Delta region – a major rice bowl of Vietnam. However, they predicted that rice sector will recover fast when the pandemic is controlled.
According to the Vietnam Food Association (VFA), Vietnam is anticipating a great chance to increase exports when a fall is forecast in other rice supply sources such as India and Thailand while the global demand is rising.
Securities firm Mirae Asset Vietnam held that the EU-Vietnam Free Trade Agreement (EVFTA), which has become effective since August 2020, is helping to boost Vietnamese rice exports to the European market.
At the same time, the US Department of Agriculture predicted that global rice consumption in the 2021-2022 crop will rise 1.8 percent year on year, which is coupled with a rise in rice prices.
Thanks to higher prices, Vietnamese rice exporters are expected to enjoy good growth in profits./.
- Agriculture sector struggles to recover weakening exports
- Vietnam bolsters agricultural exports amid growing protectionism
- Trade authority to take flexible trade policies to support exports
- Feature: Vietnamese Kung Fu, traditional medicine master heals, strengthens people's hearts
- The Great Lightbulb Conspiracy
- Can the White House Make America’s Chip Industry Great Again?
- Storing Solar Energy: A great idea caught on contested ground
- Impact of new-generation FTAs on textile industry discussed
- Shoppers have quality taste
- Prompt action needed to take advantage of FTAs
- Think Italy. Think Innovation, Impact, and Integration.
- US added modest 103K jobs in March; rate stays 4.1 pct.
- Lombardy seeks science and technology experts
- Microsoft, Qualcomm and Citigroup Partner to Invest in Israeli Cyber Syndicate
- All of the best iPad and iPhone apps for kids
- Startup Aims to Bring Useless Farmland Back to Life
- AI and collaboration key to future success
- 10 startups busy saving the planet while you can’t even separate your waste
- Semiconductor market in Vietnam up by 14.3% by 2019
- Economic growth could reach 6.9 percent in 2019: VEPR
Vietnamese rice exporters see great opportunities have 426 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at October 21, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.