A man from the south-central Vietnamese province of Phu Yen has been sentenced to 25 years in prison for setting a house on fire, causing severe injuries to four people.
The provincial People's Court on Wednesday conducted the trial of Tran Van Phuc, 45, who resides in Xuan Canh Commune, Song Cau Town.
Phuc was condemned to 20 years in jail for murder and five years behind bars for vandalism.
He was also mandated to pay the victims more than VND2 billion (US$88,000) in compensation.
Phuc was under the influence of alcohol at around 2:30 am on September 21, 2020 when he decided to burn down a house owned by his neighbor, 41-year-old Nguyen Huu Vinh, due to a longstanding conflict, according to the indictment.
He then headed to Vinh's home, broke the window, poured gasoline inside, and set the home ablaze.
Vinh, his 34-year-old wife, and their two children aged four and six were sleeping at the time.
Phuc locked the door from the outside to prevent the victims from escaping.
Vinh eventually managed to kick the door open and the four family members escaped with serious burns.
They were taken to a nearby hospital for emergency treatment and later transferred to major hospitals in Ho Chi Minh City.
The fire also caused property damage worth VND84 million ($3,700).
Phuc ran away on his motorbike following the crime and was arrested at a relative's house in south-central Binh Dinh Province two days later.
Prior to the incident, Phuc had been sentenced to five years and six months in prison for assault in December 2009.
He was granted amnesty on August 30, 2010.
- Lotto has been changing lives for 25 years — here are the people YOU are helping by voting in the National Lottery Awards
- Second man held over Gerry Adams house attack freed on bail
- Teenager is arrested after homeless Polish man found murdered in derelict house
- Sixth man arrested after 3-year-old boy injured in suspected acid attack
- Can you guess who has £10,000 and who has £24? What’s really inside these 25-year-olds’ bank accounts
- Essex council house becomes 25-year art project
- A leading think tank proposes that every Millennial receive an €11K lump sum at 25 years
- Man sentenced to 25 years for mailing fatal dose of cyanide to Briton
- Beloved Felixstowe fancy dress shop to pack up after 25 years trading
- Fears for welfare of missing Ipswich 25-year-old
- Germany jails Vietnamese man over kidnap
- Vietnamese man mistaken for six-year-old boy tells what REALLY happened
- Matthew Sharpe sentenced to 25 years for murder of St Ives man Andrew Hasler
- 25-year-old released by police after man allegedly struck by car
- IRA truck bomb devastated City of London 25 years ago
- Gardaí arrest man and woman after burglars target elderly people in two separate incidents
- What is the National Living Wage, when was the 2018 increase and what is the UK minimum wage for 16, 18 and 25 year-olds?
- Pensioner reveals 25 years of 'cat poo hell' living next to 'filthy home'
- German prosecutors no idea why man drove van into a crowd of people
- Three men jailed for total of 25 years after a violent attack in Luton
Vietnamese man imprisoned for 25 years for causing house fire that injured four people have 511 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at October 14, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.