In a “Last Week Tonight with John Oliver” episode Monday, Oliver, whose show helped make a Vietnamese public announcement song on Covid-19 go viral last year, highlighted how misinformation is spreading among the immigrant diaspora in the U.S., and more worryingly, how there has been little content monitoring efforts to fight misinformation in languages other than English.
“Sometimes the spread of misinformation is exacerbated by the fact that for many diaspora communities here in the U.S., there just aren’t many alternatives in their own languages.
“For many older Vietnamese-Americans, there is such a vacuum of credible news channels that broadcast in Vietnamese. Many turn to YouTube for their news, with certain channels on in their houses 24/7,” Oliver said, highlighting one particular media host called “Nguy Vu”, who spewed misinformation on his platform “King Radio”.
Among the snippets of Nguy Vu’s King Radio show, the host said wearing masks are “killing people,” among other false claims.
“A key problem right now is that many communities don’t have the same fact-checking resources that English-speaking ones do… If someone sends you a clip from King Radio, Vietnamese language fact-checking sources are thin on the ground.”
“There are some; there is Viet Fact Check, a volunteer-led project, and The Interpreter, which works to translate news articles from reputable outlets into Vietnamese,” said Oliver.
On its official website, Viet Fact Check claimed to be a project of Progressive Vietnamese American Organization (PIVOT), who dedicate themselves to “empower Vietnamese-Americans with fact-checked, source-verified analysis and rebuttals in English and Vietnamese to combat the onslaught of misinformation circulating widely in our Vietnamese-American communities.”
Similarly, The Interpreter, otherwise known as “Nguoi Thong Dich”, brands itself as a news aggregator site with the extra feature of translation of articles into Vietnamese. Its founders said the project is “a conduit between Vietnamese generations, conveying facts and engaging the diaspora on relevant global issues.”
“We intend to play an active role in building an informed, connected, and engaged Vietnamese diaspora that seeks information and makes decisions grounded in the truth,” The Interpreter states on its official website.
However, Oliver noted these fact-checkers are often small organizations that lack the resources to fight large-scale misinformation on even grounds.
“There needs to be public pressure on platforms to do something about all forms of misinformation, whether they are in English or not.”
- John Oliver Takes on the Trump Era: The Rolling Stone Interview
- John Oliver Examines What Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner Have Actually Done
- ‘Fact-Checker’ Who Accused ICE Officer Of Having A ‘Nazi Tattoo’ Hired To Research The ‘Far Right’
- Lori Loughlin's daughter Bella Giannulli appears in high spirits as she steps out with friends... as her parents await their college admissions scandal trial
- FACT CHECK: Is Snopes Biased? Read This ‘Fact Check’ On Erica Thomas Story And Judge For Yourself.
- WATCH: FreedomToons Hilariously Skewers Snopes’ Extreme ‘Fact-Checking’ Measures
- Snopes Fact-Checks Satire Website Babylon Bee Yet Again Over Article On Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
- Jeremy Corbyn claims he will win election 'no problem at all' and John McDonnell suggests polling is 'just like 2017' with Labour poised to surprise critics
- Fact check: Trump and his so-they-say accusations
- Media ‘Fact-Checks’ Trump’s Claim That Obama Sent Iran Money, Gets Facts Wrong
- John Banville on the birth of his dark twin, Benjamin Black
- Bundesliga: Oliver Kahn reveals plans at Bayern Munich unveiling
- This Election Offered A Window Into WhatsApp's Wild, Sometimes Fact-Free World
- America's 'detainee 001' – the persecution of John Walker Lindh
- Former EastEnders star Katie Jarvis makes her first acting appearance in short film Take Me after it was revealed she had a job as a security guard at B&M Bargains
- Broadcaster John Humphrys savages bias at the BBC as he accuses the ‘Kremlin’ style corporation of being out of touch
- What Is John Roberts' Role in Impeachment? SCOTUS Chief to Preside Over Trump's Upcoming Senate Trial
- ‘The New Pope’ looks a lot like John Malkovich
- Small cracks have appeared in GOP unity on impeachment trial
- Alesha Dixon takes Hollywood by storm as she reunites with old pal Jameela Jamil and enjoys a duet with John Legend amid AGT stint
Vietnamese fact-checkers appear on John Oliver show have 675 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at October 15, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.