Hanoi (VNA) – Vietnam welcomes the appointment of Staffan de Mistura as the United Nations Secretary-General’s Personal Envoy for Western Sahara and Alexander Ivanko as the Secretary-General’s Special Representative for Western Sahara and head of the UN Mission for the Referendum on Western Sahara (MINURSO), said Nguyen Phuong Tra, Deputy Permanent Representative of Vietnam to the UN.
Addressing a UN Security Council discussion on the situation in Western Sahara on October 13, Tra called on relevant parties to consider the appointment a new motivation for political process in the area, and show close coordination with the two officials to resume dialogues and end conflicts.
Tra reiterated Vietnam's principle stance of supporting the settlement of the West Sahara issue through peaceful negotiations among relevant parties in line with international law and related UNSC resolutions.
Vietnam underlines the significance of seeking an equal, long-term and acceptable solution for all parties, ensuring the rights to self-determination of the people of West Sahara, in line with UN Charter's principles and purposes for peace, cooperation and development in the region.
The West Sahara issue was debated at the UNSC for the first time in 1975 with Resolution 377 asking the UN Secretary General to consult relevant parties on the West Sahara situation. In 1991, the UNSC released Resolution 690 on the plan to organise a referendum so that West Sahara people can decide themselves whether to become independent or merge into the Morocco territory. The MINURSO was also set up that year./.
- New chief fire officer appointed for West Sussex
- Vietnam’s vast underground world
- Trump's power play on UK envoy sends ruthless message to allies
- Follow live updates of West Brom v Reading from The Hawthorns
- UN envoy for Western Sahara quits over health reasons
- In Western Sahara, Europe sides with occupier over occupied
- North Korea fires again as US envoy visits
- AFP: North Korea fires missiles as US envoy visits Seoul
- Newly appointed US envoy Satterfield arrives in Turkey
- Turkey key supporter in fight against terrorism in West Africa
- Iran and the West: Can Europe restrain the US?
- Turkey helps to combat terrorism in Africa: Envoy
- Trump’s pick for top envoy to the UN gets Senate approval
- Relations with Sudan deeply rooted, Turkish envoy says
- US envoy hails signing of Crete offshore licenses
- US names envoy to integrate Western Balkans
- New contractor appointed to complete primary school
- BBC North West Tonight's new weather presenter is revealed
- West Yorkshire Police is recruiting 300 officers
- Thatcham welcomes new Bishop of Reading
Vietnam welcomes appointment of UN envoys for West Sahara have 404 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at October 14, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.