“The vaccine is safe for children,” Health Minister Nguyen Thanh Long said at a meeting.
The vaccine, produced by American corporation called Pfizer in New York and BioNTech, a German biotechnology company based in Germany, has been recommended for children by the World Health Organization.
The national campaign will start with those aged 16 and 17 and work its way down.
Only those having the written consent of parents and guardians can be vaccinated. They will have their health checked prior to the inoculation in line with the ministry's Covid-19 vaccination guidelines.
The ministry had on Oct. 14 approved the administration of vaccines for children aged 12-17, prioritizing the 16-17 age group. Tuesday's meeting and announcement was the first instance that specified the kind of vaccine to be used for the age group.
The nation's two biggest cities, Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi, have already prepared plans to vaccinate teenagers and children.
The HCMC Health Department plans to begin vaccinating 780,000 children against Covid-19 starting Wednesday, first in the downtown District 1 and the outlying Cu Chi District. Cu Chi is set to vaccinate around 1,500 children aged 16-17 on the first day, while District 1 will start with 310 12th graders.
Hanoi's vaccination campaign for children aged 12-17 is expected to commence in 2022.
The Pfizer vaccine has been administered to the12-17 age group in about 30 countries.
On October 23, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration recognized the vaccine as suited for administration to the 5-11 age group.
Vietnam has so far vaccinated 52.6 million adults with at least one Covid-19 vaccine shot and 21.5 million people have been fully vaccinated.
- Another shipment of Pfizer vaccine to arrive in Vietnam this week
- Vietnam to buy another 20 mln Pfizer vaccine doses
- Vietnam to buy additional 20 million Pfizer vaccine doses
- U.S. FDA aims to give full approval to Pfizer vaccine on Monday - NYT
- Vietnam ramps up vaccination in race with Covid-19 virus as daily cases keep soaring away
- Britain orders 35million doses of Pfizer vaccine in £1billion deal for Autumn boost
- Pfizer vaccine side effects: Three 'feelings' in your chest that require medical attention
- Pfizer Vaccine for 16 to 39-year-olds is a Welcome News For Australia, Though AstraZeneca Remains a Good Option
- Australians aged 16 to 39 can soon access Pfizer vaccine
- Hundreds of thousands of young Sydneysiders can get a priority Pfizer vaccine from today
- Vietnam to buy additional 20 million Pfizer vaccine
- Government agrees to buy additional 20mln Pfizer vaccine doses
- Covid-19: Fiji considers vaccinating children to curb spread as 240 people hospitalised
- Covid-19: Children aged 12 to 15 now eligible for Pfizer vaccine
- FDA gives Pfizer vaccine full approval, Bay Area leaders say acceptance and mandates may follow
- Covid booster plan confirmed - UK orders 35m extra Pfizer vaccines for September rollout
- Pfizer vaccine: Rates of deep vein thrombosis and thrombocytopenia after vaccine increase
- Fox News reacts to FDA's Pfizer vaccine approval by questioning if it was rushed
- Watch Live: Biden speaks after FDA grants full approval to Pfizer vaccine
- COVID-19: UK orders 35 million more doses of Pfizer vaccine as it prepares for booster shots
Vietnam greenlights Pfizer vaccine for children have 492 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at October 26, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.