NEW YORK — A Vietnamese diplomat has highlighted the role of women in peacekeeping and peacebuilding and underscored the need to enhance the participation of women in all political, social and economic aspects during a meeting of the UN Security Council on Thursday (US time).
It is crucial to value women's experience, knowledge, understanding and expertise in all fields, including peace and security, by removing barriers and facilitating transition to promote women as equal partners since the start of any peace and political process, Permanent Representative of Việt Nam to the UN Ambassador Đặng Đình Quý told the UNSC's open debate on "Investing in women in peacekeeping and peacebuilding."
The event was attended by Antonio Guterres, UN Secretary-General; Sima Sami Bahous, Executive Director of the UN Entity for Gender Equality and Empowerment of Women (UN Women); and Bineta Diop, Special Envoy of the Chairperson of the African Union Commission on Women, Peace and Security (WPS).
Women's rights, interests and needs must be guaranteed and promoted at provincial, national and international levels, and women should be given necessary skills and knowledge to meaningfully participate in all aspects of life, he said.
Quý emphasised that it is the responsibility of all member states to implement the WPS Agenda. All the states must take more specific and drastic actions to ensure women's role incorporated in legal frameworks, policies, strategies and initiatives on peace and security at the national, regional and global levels, he stated.
The diplomat went on to call on the community of donors to contribute a minimum of 15 per cent of its official development assistance (ODA) to advancing gender equality in conflict-affected countries.
One of Việt Nam's priorities is to foster the participation of women in all aspects of life, he said, noting that with their knowledge, wisdom, tolerance and understanding, women play a vital part in promoting a culture of peace and educating young people to appreciate peace.
Quý also took the occasion to highlight the contributions made by Vietnamese female military officers to peacekeeping missions in the Central African Republic and South Sudan. — VNS
- Viet Nam-Japan trade relations bear fruit
- HCM City highlights women’s role in fight against plastic pollution
- Viet Nam, Norway move closer together
- Infographics: Top 10 milestones in Viet Nam-United Nations relations and national progress
- Cambodian youth visit Viet Nam
- Việt Nam and US work together to combat ASF
- Việt Nam backs global action to protect children’s rights
- Highlights in FMs’ visits to VN in 2014
- VN vows to fulfill UNSC non-permanent membership role
- UN Deputy Secretary-General's remarks to Security Council on Women, Peace and Security in the Sahel
- South Sudan: Role of Refugees in Peace Process
- Statement by UN Secretary General Ban Ki- Moon at the opening of the 58th Session of the Commission on the Status of Women ( CSW )
- Vietnam calls for IOF’s greater attention to women, children
- NA deputies agree draft law on advertising ‘a necessity'
- NZ, VN celebrate 30 years of strong relations
- Press digest – June 10
- Foreign FMs’ visits to VN in spotlights
- Press digest – January 14
- Press digest – October 8
- FAO praises VN’s poverty reduction achievements
Việt Nam highlights women’s role in peacekeeping, peacebuilding have 556 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at October 22, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.