THE UK’s Covid case total has risen by almost 50,000 AGAIN – as Boris Johnson vows “we’ll do what we have to” to stop the spread.
A further 49,298 people tested positive for Covid-19 today, a 9.7 per cent week-on-week rise on last Friday.
Yesterday, daily Covid cases passed 50,000 for the first time in three months when a further 52,009 tested positive.
The last time daily infections surpassed the grim milestone was on July 17 when 54,674 fresh cases were reported.
Today’s death toll has also soared, after 180 deaths were recorded. The figure marks an almost 60 per cent rise on yesterday’s 115 fatalities.
It comes as Boris Johnson today vowed to do “whatever we have to do” to keep rising Covid cases under control but insisted a full lockdown isn’t “on the cards”.
The PM urged Brits to be increasingly “cautious” and start wearing masks again amid alarm over spiralling infections .
Scientists have warned how much worse the Covid outbreak could play out over the next year without "Plan B" style measures – as vaccine immunity wanes.
In papers given to scientific advisers to the Government, experts warn of the importance of booster jabs at keeping the virus in check indefinitely.
Worst-case scenario graphs suggest 150,000 infections per day, 2,000 hospital admissions and 300 deaths, in the spring of 2022.
That's even with booster vaccines taken up by 90 per cent of adults over 50 years old over the winter.
Most read in The Sun
Using Plan B – face coverings, working from home and vaccine passports – from May 2022 only push the “peak” further into the year.
It’s based on an assumption that immunity wanes faster than is expected.
But even with moderate waning, infections could peak at 100,000 per day – and deaths 200 – after winter.
The models – from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine – suggest that further peaks are inevitable next year, suggesting Covid is far from over.
Speaking at a vaccine centre in London, the PM today insisted that the surge of the virus was “always predicted” by scientists and is “fully in line with” what they expected.
He said the most important thing people can do is come forward for their booster jabs .
Boris said: “Our autumn and winter plan always predicted that cases would rise around about now. We're certainly seeing that in the numbers.
“We're seeing high levels of infection, but they're not outside the parameters of what was predicted or what we thought we'd see.
“But it's very important people do follow the guidance on general behaviour, on being cautious.”
He said people should wear masks “in confined places where you're meeting people you don't normally meet”.
And he urged people to keep up regular hand washing and make sure rooms have good ventilation.
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for The Sun news desk?
Click here to upload yours.
- BBC election debate: 6 misleading claims Boris Johnson made on live TV
- Boris Johnson warns that Britain risks sleepwalking into a coalition led by Jeremy Corbyn - 'the most extreme Left-wing candidate produced by the Labour party in a century'
- Boris Johnson will 'show some love' for public sector workers by handing out bigger pay rises, allies claim - as Hunt accuses him of planning Brexit 'on a wing and a prayer'
- Do the deal! Poll reveals Britain wants MPs to stop the delay and back Boris Johnson today after his Brexit breakthrough
- Boris Johnson denies lying to the Queen as Northern Ireland's top court rejects no-deal challenge
- Arch-remainer Gina Miller's lawyer says Boris Johnson is guilty of 'worst abuse of power in at least 50 years' at Supreme Court Brexit hearing into whether PM lied to Queen about why he was suspending Parliament
- UK PM Boris Johnson visits Hindu temple, vows to partner with PM Modi to build new India
- 'It makes my blood boil!': Boris Johnson reveals his fury at being preached at by Andrew Neil, horror of Jeremy Corbyn in No 10, bringing back pounds and ounces... and what he really thinks of those questions about trust
- 'It's up to YOU now': Boris Johnson makes final plea to voters as he hammers home Brexit vow at glitzy rally HOURS before election - with polls showing the Tories are still ahead but NOT guaranteed a majority
- The UK economy is at a standstill. Here's how Jeremy Corbyn and Boris Johnson want to change that
- Boris Johnson comes in like a wrecking ball! PM is let loose in a 'Get Brexit Done' JCB and smashes through a wall marked 'gridlock' as he tries to regain momentum - after polls show he could face ANOTHER hung parliament
- General Election 2019: Boris Johnson says voters can have £150bn in investment for Christmas if they vote for Tories
- Boris Johnson assassination plot claim planted online in 'Russian election meddling'
- Boris Johnson IQ comments reveal 'unpleasant, careless elitism', says Clegg
- Nigel Farage accuses Boris Johnson of copying him in general election campaign
- Jeremy Hunt criticises 'populist' Boris Johnson over 'sin tax' pledge
- The day roads turned to rivers: Boris Johnson joins the clean-up operation in flood-hit North and Midlands towns as aerial photos reveal the devastation caused by 'biblical' flooding that's left streets waist-deep in water and a woman dead
- UK election: Who are the political party leaders challenging Boris Johnson?
- Who is Boris Johnson? Everything you need to know about the new British Prime Minister
- UK PM Johnson Seeks to Tackle Anti-Vax 'Fake News' on Social Media to Stop Measles Spread - Report
UK daily Covid cases rise by almost 50k AGAIN after Boris Johnson vows ‘we’ll do what we have to’ to stop spread have 1032 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at October 22, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.