TOKYO — Child suicides in Japan are the highest they have been in more than four decades, local media have reported, citing the country’s education ministry.
As the COVID-19 pandemic prompted school closings and disrupted classrooms last year, 415 children from elementary to high school age were recorded as having taken their own lives, according to the education ministry’s survey.
The number is up by nearly 100 from last year, the highest since record-keeping began in 1974, the Asahi newspaper reported on Thursday.
Suicide has a long history in Japan as a way of avoiding perceived shame or dishonour, and its suicide rate has long topped the Group of Seven nations, but a national effort brought numbers down by roughly 40 percent over 15 years, including 10 straight years of decline from 2009.
Amid the pandemic, suicides increased in 2020 after a decade of declines, with the number of women committing suicide surging amid the emotional and financial stress caused by the coronavirus pandemic, although fewer men took their own lives.
The education ministry said a record high of more than 196,127 school children were absent for 30 days or more, media reported.
The results showed that changes in school and household environments due to the pandemic have had a huge impact on children’s behaviour, NHK quoted an education ministry official as saying.
- 'Pingdemic' chaos hits ANOTHER record-high as NHS Covid app sends 600,000 alerts in England last week
- COVID-19 Infections Reach Record High in Tokyo
- Tokyo Reports Record-High Number of COVID Cases Just Days After Olympics Begin
- Japan's coronavirus infections surge to record highs amid Olympic Games
- COVID-19 hospitalizations in Louisiana to hit record-high
- Stocks back near record highs on dovish ECB bets
- S&P 500, Dow scale all-time record highs as economy growth picks up
- S&P 500, Dow scale all-time record highs as economic growth picks up
- S&P 500 Hits Record High And Dow Climbs 200 Points After Blowout Earnings And Economic Data
- Google’s Alphabet reaches record high quarterly revenue
- S&P 500 closes at record high as Apple, healthcare stocks help shrug off Delta worries
- Coronavirus: Prisoners' children 'forgotten' during pandemic
- Global Emotions Survey Shows Record High Levels Of People ‘Feeling Stressed, Sad, Angry And Worried’
- Tokyo Olympics: Japanese Officials Alarmed as Covid Cases Hit Record Highs for 3rd Straight Day
- Prisoner numbers to hit record high with 99,000 behind bars by 2026
- Olympics Host Tokyo Seeks More Hospital Beds As Daily Covid-19 Cases Hit Record High
- Tokyo COVID-19 cases top 3,000, record high for second straight day–media
- Children stopped at border likely hit record-high in July
- Children stopped at Mexican border likely hit record-high in July
- Influencer Reportedly Plunges 160 Feet To Death While Recording For Social Media
Suicides among Japanese children at record high during pandemic -media have 421 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at October 14, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.