Singapore (VNA) – Singapore welcomes the US’s assurance that its recent trilateral defence pact with Australia and the United Kingdom ( AUKUS ) will support ASEAN centrality and contribute to regional peace and stability, Singapore an Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong told the virtual ASEAN-US Summit on October 26.
He also welcomed the US’s announcement of 102 million USD in new initiatives to expand its partnership with ASEAN, with the funds going into health, climate, economic and education programmes.
PM Lee noted that the US was ASEAN's largest source of foreign direct investment last year, with investments amounting to nearly 35 billion USD.
The US has also delivered over 30 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines to the region, contributed 500,000 USD to an ASEAN pandemic response fund, and established the US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention’s South-east Asia regional office in Hanoi.
He suggested ASEAN and the US expand partnership to non-traditional domains, including digital infrastructure, cyber security and climate change.
With the bloc's digital economy projected to reach 200 billion USD by 2025, the time is ripe for a technological revolution, with promising opportunities for both US and regional companies to work together to ride the wave, Lee stressed./.
- Deputy PM, FM Pham Binh Minh holds phone talks with US State Secretary Antony Blinken
- Vietnam-Singapore cooperation centre inaugurated
- Hungary prepares 'digital freedom' fight against Facebook and Twitter: PM Viktor Orban fears he could be banned like Trump
- Lao deputy PM receives VN Party official
- Singapore passes bill governing police use of contact tracing data
- Uttarakhand floods: HM Amit Shah speaks to state CM; assures all help
- Supporting industries welcome new investment wave
- RIRI: Diljit Dosanjh releases 2.16 minute-long new track on Rihanna after she supports farmers protest
- Scotland has benefited from UK support in Covid fight, says Boris Johnson
- Greta Thunberg, Swedish climate activist, lends support to farmers' protest
- VIETNAM NEWS HEADLINES FEBRUARY 2
- VIETNAM NEWS JANUARY 29
- Vietnamese firms to tackle plastic pollution in Hạ Long Bay
- Vietnamese firms to tackle plastic pollution in Ha Long Bay
- An act of war: implications of China's coast guard law
- Vietnamese people worldwide celebrate Tet holiday
- Reflect Respect Celebrate on Australia Day 2021
- States worry as Centre plans to trim schemes in Budget
- Union Budget 2021 | Budget proposes 137% hike in health, well-being spend
- Farmers’ protest | Radical Sikh outfits, Pakistan-based Twitter handles fomenting trouble: Uttarakhand CM
Singapore welcomes US assurance that AUKUS supports ASEAN centrality: PM have 381 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at October 27, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.