The Ministry of Science and Technology will research the production of COVID-19 vaccines, treatment drugs and new SARS-CoV-2 testing methods, said Minister of Science and Technology Huynh Thanh Dat.
|The Ministry of Science and Technology will study new SARS-CoV-2 testing methods such as saliva and breath tests. — VNA/VNS Photo|
The ministry held a conference yesterday to review the contribution of science and technology in COVID-19 prevention and control work with the participation of Deputy Prime Minister Vu Duc Dam.
According to Deputy Minister of Science and Technology Bui The Duy, since the pandemic broke out in Vietnam, the science and technology sector has been creative in researching and manufacturing treatment drugs, vaccines, biological products and anti-pandemic medical equipment.
Vietnam has become one of the first countries in the world to successfully isolate SARS-CoV-2, which is an important result, paving the way for research and production of diagnostic kits, vaccine production and further study of the virus, he said.
Vietnam has also successfully produced RT-PCR test kits and conducted early research on vaccines. NanoCovax vaccine is in the middle of the third assessment phase and is waiting for approval from the health ministry. Meanwhile, the Covivax vaccine is in the second trial phase.
The Ministry of Science and Technology has issued a certificate of technology transfer for the production of COVID-19 vaccines using mRNA technology.
The ministry has also worked with relevant agencies to launch a quick response information team for COVID-19 prevention and control and assisting with tracing cases and prediction work, Duy said.
Deputy Prime Minister Vu Duc Dam acknowledged the contribution of scientists and researchers in COVID-19 prevention and control, adding that science and technology "plays an extremely important role in this work".
"Medicine and vaccines must be the utmost solutions in pandemic prevention and control work. Only when herd immunity is over 70 per cent, can we reduce the risk of infection," Dam said.
Scientists and experts at the conference proposed COVID prevention and control solutions with an aim to ensure the economy's sustainable growth and global supply chain development.
They noted that the solutions must pay attention to people's income.
Scientists also proposed solutions to apply artificial intelligence (AI) in treating patients at home, and mechanisms to mobilise private medical examination and treatment organisations to participate in pandemic prevention and control.
Minister of Science and Technology Huynh Thanh Dat said the ministry would step up research on COVID vaccines with an aim to be able to own the production technology of 15 types of vaccines and manufacture at least five types of vaccines.
The ministry will study new testing methods such as saliva and breath tests, he said.
Source: Vietnam News
- Mobile Money waits for legal corridor to become formal payment method in Vietnam
- Vietnam startup ecosystem expects new unicorns
- New strain of coronavirus behind lung infections in China
- Scientists identify a NEW virus strain in some of the Chinese patients struck by a mysterious pneumonia-like illness that's sickened 59 people
- China: the new space superpower
- NASA astronomers develop a new method to detect oxygen on exoplanets - claiming it could help accelerate the search for alien life outside our Solar System
- Meet the women and men going to Mars! Thirteen new astronauts join NASA under the Artemis program, making them candidates for the first human exploration of the Red Planet set for the mid-2030s
- NASA graduates new class of astronauts for missions to the moon, Mars
- This Linguist Helped Investigate the Unabomber. Here’s His Take on the New York Times’ ‘Resistance’ Op-Ed.
- Microplastics 'found in nearly all bottled water' - study
- Mystery outbreak of pneumonia which has infected 59 people in China is still baffling scientists as officials rule out deadly SARS and bird flu
- China's Swift ID of a New Virus Is a Win for Public Health
- New Year Honours list 2019 in full - from stars to heroes of tragedy and terror
- Office of Technology Assessment: It's time for a second coming
- DR MICHAEL MOSLEY: How the 5:2 diet reversed my diabetes... and now a life-changing new eating plan could do the same for you
- New Zealand's growing underclass: What happens when you're stranded on the wrong side of the digital divide
- Analysis challenges slew of studies claiming ocean acidification alters fish behavior
- Govt. panel to study cow derivatives
- Ministry plans major overhaul of Law on Health Examination and Treatment
- 'Environmentally friendly' flying cars are only better for the planet if they make journeys longer than 22 miles because their engines use so much power taking off, study finds
Science and technology ministry to study new SARS-CoV-2 testing methods have 742 words, post on vietnamnet.vn at October 19, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.