Panama won their first-ever World Cup qualifying match against the United States in Panama City on Sunday, picking up a 1-0 victory in CONCACAF qualifying for the 2022 World Cup.
The U.S. side couldn’t find its rhythm and a header from midfielder Anibal Godoy following a corner kick in the 54th minute gave Panama the advantage to roars from the home crowd.
Godoy was taken off on a stretcher in the 67th minute with an injury and a collision between American Kellyn Acosta and Panamanian Armando Cooper late in the second half led to an extended stoppage of play as medical trainers tended to each on the pitch.
Moments later, Panama midfielder Christian Martinez was also taken off the field with an apparent leg issue.
“It was clear we didn’t have our best stuff,” coach Gregg Berhalter told reporters. “I think we came up short in a number of areas.”
|Soccer Football – World Cup – CONCACAF Qualifiers – Panama v United States – Estadio Rommel Fernandez, Panama City, Panama – October 10, 2021 Panama’s Anibal Godoy in action with Kellyn Acosta of the U.S.. Photo: Reuters|
Berhalter said the focus would pivot now to “regrouping” for Wednesday’s match against Costa Rica.
“Overall, we performed below the expectations we have for ourselves,” he added.
The match took place four years to the day since the United States suffered a humiliating 2-1 defeat to Trinidad & Tobago that caused them to miss the 2018 World Cup, the first time they failed to reach the tournament since 1986.
The loss on Sunday dropped the United States to second in the qualifying table, after opening the round with two draws and beating Honduras and Jamaica.
The top three teams qualify automatically for Qatar 2022 with the fourth-placed finisher going into an intercontinental playoff for another spot.
- Iranian women snap up tickets for World Cup qualifier
- Rugby World Cup: Bonus-point win keeps host Japan on course for quarterfinals
- WBSC Awards Hosting Rights of 2021 U-18 Baseball World Cup to USA
- England 39 Argentina 10: England seal Rugby World Cup quarter-final as Pumas are tamed
- Reggae Girlz Gain HERBS Support Ahead of Historic FIFA Women’s World Cup
- The Women’s World Cup is 100 days out
- US hoops draws Turkey, Czech Republic, Japan in World Cup
- Cedi Osman to play for Turkey in FIBA World Cup, ready to ‘shoot our shot’ against Team USA
- Poe’s Perspective: World Cup will make or break USWNT
- Japan 38-19 Samoa: Hosts close to qualification for World Cup quarter-finals
- National team names 25-man squad ahead of World Cup 2022 qualifiers
- U.S. women's fight for fairness puts World Cup in focus
- World Cup biathlon hits Soldier Hollow this weekend, where surging American Clare Egan has high hopes
- South Africa 49-3 Italy: Springboks cruise to Rugby World Cup Pool B win
- Canada's men halt volleyball skid at World Cup, outlasting Egypt
- Kevin Love, Tristan Thompson still undecided about playing in FIBA World Cup
- U.S. men's soccer team draws challenging group for Gold Cup tournament
- Cone wins World Pro Ski Tour final event at Sunday River
- Asian Cup host UAE fined $150K for fans targeting Qatar
- CONCACAF: Gold Cup field is set, Nissan Stadium to host semifinal
Panama stun U.S. 1-0 in World Cup qualifier have 509 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at October 11, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.