Matthew Mire faces additional criminal charges in East Baton Rouge Parish after detectives filed a new arrest warrant Wednesday detailing more evidence about how he repeatedly opened fire on law enforcement officers during a daylong manhunt for the murder suspect on Saturday.
About 12 hours into the massive multi-parish search effort, a state trooper was found dead inside his squad car around 6 p.m. Saturday, about the same time Mire was shooting at other troopers outside an abandoned house on Hoo Shoo Too Road in the southeast corner of the parish, according to police.
The chase started around 5 a.m. that morning when Mire fired at yet another trooper who tried to pull him over in Prairieville. An ensuing high-speed chase morphed into the manhunt that lasted until after 10 p.m. when Mire was finally taken into custody near Bayou Manchac, largely unharmed.
Mire was initially booked into East Baton Rouge jail on counts of aggravated flight from an officer and attempted first-degree murder of a police officer — charges referring to the 5 a.m. attempted traffic stop and chase.
A gunman who led police on a high-speed chase and daylong, multi-parish manhunt is in custody and unharmed, officials said.
He was rebooked on additional counts Wednesday: illegal possession of stolen firearms, obstruction of justice and misdemeanor resisting an officer.
His arrest report contains new details about the final stages of the manhunt Saturday evening, when law enforcement finally started zeroing in on where Mire was hiding.
A State Police SWAT team arrived at an abandoned house at 23584 Hoo Shoo Too Road after receiving information that Mire was hiding there, according to the arrest report.
“LSP SWAT drove their Bearcat vehicle down a long driveway to the residence and Mire was waiting under the carport at the front of the residence,” troopers wrote in the report.
Mire fired about four rounds and ran inside the house, the report says. He then fired more rounds and ran out the backdoor into a “wooded and swampy area,” troopers wrote.
The manhunt continued through the woods, with law enforcement using police helicopters to track Mire.
At one point, troopers observed the man throw an object into Bayou Manchac, according to the report. A dive team later recovered a Smith & Wesson handgun from underwater.
Mire was finally placed in handcuffs sometime after troopers saw him discard the gun, the arrest report says. He did not immediately comply with commands to stop resisting and refused to release his hands, but was successfully restrained after a police dog bit his leg, according to the report.
Authorities confirmed that the recovered firearm had been stolen out of the blue Silverado pickup truck that Mire allegedly stole from a house in French Settlement and drove during his shooting rampage, which began around midnight Friday when he shot two of his neighbors in French Settlement, stole the nearby truck and drove to Prairieville, according to police.
In Prairieville, Mire allegedly ambushed Master Trooper Adam Gaubert, who was typing reports in his patrol car. After killing Gaubert, Mire entered a house less than a mile away and shot two of his relatives, leaving one dead.
A Louisiana state trooper was shot to death while typing reports inside his patrol car early Saturday morning in Prairieville, but another 15 …
Officials believe Mire used the stolen gun in both those shootings, according to the new arrest report.
Mire is being held without bond in East Baton Rouge Parish. He also faces charges in Livingston and Ascension parishes in connection with the other two shootings and the alleged ambush of Gaubert.
- Baton Rouge Cop Who Shot Alton Sterling Fired, Body-Cam Footage Finally Released
- US charges Malian in al-Qaida hotel attack in Burkina Faso
- Harvey Weinstein booked into Wende Correctional Facility and is not eligible for release until 2039
- Bars, restaurants and stores are boarded up as three million Americans prepare to file for unemployment and Donald Trump warns of a nationwide two-week quarantine to slow the spread of coronavirus
- A boy and his father were shot dead by Australian soldiers in Afghanistan. New reports claim they were unarmed
- Accused New Zealand mosque shooter pleads guilty to 51 murders, terrorism
- Accused New Zealand mosque shooter shocks with switch to guilty plea
- After the Killings, Bill de Blasio and Bill Bratton Now Have the Most Critical Relationship in New York
- Hunter Biden reveals he dated widowed sister-in-law after a crack binge, details drink and drugs sprees and reveals how he broke news to dad Joe that he’d married girlfriend he’d known for just a week
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons Review Roundup
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons Reviews Roundup
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons Review Roundup - What Are The Critics Saying?
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons Review Roundup - What Do The Critics Think?
- Gannon’s stepmom faces new charges after body found 2,000 miles from his home
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons Review Roundup--Here Are The Scores
- New Division 2 Update Is Out Now, Patch Notes Listed
- NSA files – Merkel and Hollande call for talks with US by end of year – live
- Police Release New Details About Las Vegas Shooter, But Still No Motive
- Prosecutors Submit New Evidence as Lori Vallow's Attorney Proclaims Mom of 2 Missing Kids Innocent
- CORONAVIRUS: 10 new cases as states breach ban on mass gathering
New charges filed against Matthew Mire; new details released about shooting rampage, manhunt have 899 words, post on www.theadvocate.com at October 13, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.