As the economy has been battered by the pandemic, it is essential for Vietnam to find new driving forces for growth.
For Vietnam to create new breakthroughs in development, the country not only needs special mechanisms for each locality, but also for a whole economic region.
|Overview of the NA session. Source: quochoi.vn|
National Assembly (NA) Deputy Pham Trong Nhan from Binh Duong Province gave his remarks at a session of the NA today [October 27], discussing a draft resolution on special mechanisms for the development of four cities and provinces including Haiphong, Nghe An, Thanh Hoa, and Hue.
The proposed mechanisms by the Government would include new policies on the number of outstanding loans; higher budget allocated from the central government; recurrent expenditure limit; land and forest management; planning; state revenue collection from housing and land; and payment for public servants.
According to Nhan, once the resolution is approved, Vietnam would have seven provinces/cities each with an exclusive mechanism, including Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, and Danang.
Nhan, however, raised the question of how these provinces/cities would play a role in the strategy of provincial economic linkage to maximize its benefits.
|Deputy Pham Trong Nhan from Binh Duong Province.|
Nhan added out of 63 provinces/cities, only 16 so far do not need budget allocation from the central Government to cover their expenses, and only three are governed by special mechanisms.
"Given the current resource constraints and the severe impacts of the pandemic, it is imperative for Vietnam to find new driving forces for growth," Nhan said, adding special mechanisms for key economic zones may be the answer for such a question.
Sharing Nhan's view, Vice Chairwoman of the NA Committee for Culture and Education Nguyen Thi Mai Hoa called for the Government to take into consideration the linkage between a locality and the whole region before drafting new mechanisms.
Hoa suggested special mechanisms for provinces/cities in the NorthWest, High Central, or the Mekong Delta to form key pillars for growth in respective regions.
|Vice Chairwoman of the NA Committee for Culture and Education Nguyen Thi Mai Hoa.|
Meanwhile, Vice Chairman of the Vietnam Fatherland Front in Phu Tho Province Cam Ha Chung said there should be a consistent legal framework for every locality.
"Certain provinces/cities are seeking special mechanisms to address bottlenecks for growth and further attract investment capital. However, the absence of specific requirements would lead to more cities requesting special mechanisms," Chung added.
Chung expected the special mechanisms for localities would be later reviewed and implemented at a national scale.
The NA is scheduled to vote for the draft resolution of a special mechanism for four cities and provinces of Haiphong, Nghe An, Thanh Hoa, and Hue on November 13.
- Infographics: Importance of Northern Key Economic Zone
- NA deputies agree draft law on advertising ‘a necessity'
- Sea tourism key economic driver for central region till 2020
- Phu Quoc toward a Dynamic Special Economic Zone
- Vietnam’s notable economic achievements after 30 years of Doi Moi
- Party and State leaders meet voters ahead of 13th NA’s next sitting
- Deputy PM Minh's keynote speech at Workshop on APEC VN 2017
- Keynote address by Deputy PM, FM Minh at conference reviewing 20-year participation in APEC
- Deputy PM Truong Hoa Binh meets Bulgarian President
- NA Vice Chairman pays working visit to Germany
- Remarks by Deputy PM, FM Pham Binh Minh at 3rd Indian Ocean Conference
- Key tasks for realizing socio-economic development strategy
- Deputy PM Pham Binh Minh attends G77 ministerial meeting
- UN Deputy Secretary-General's remarks to Security Council on Women, Peace and Security in the Sahel
- A Cornerstone of Regional Tourism Development
- Cohesion Policy has 'added value' for the Mediterranean, say regional leaders
- BT's new Asean Business portal zeroes in on region
- Trump embraces his instincts at a key global moment
- Remarks by Deputy PM, FM Minh at "Meet Ambassadors from the Middle East and Africa 2019" Conference
- NA Vice Chairman Phung Quoc Hien visits Hungary
NA deputies call for special mechanism for key economic regions have 646 words, post on hanoitimes.vn at October 27, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.