NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Attorneys who filed a lawsuit against a Waffle House in Tennessee after a deadly shooting in 2018 will be able to access some of the files that have been sealed in the criminal case against the gunman, a judge ruled Thursday.
Davidson County Criminal Court Judge Mark Fishburn granted the request from attorneys suing in federal court. Travis Reinking faces four counts of first-degree murder, among other charges, in a criminal case that has been under a gag order severely limiting what information is publicly available and what anyone involved can say about it.
Attorney Philip N. Elbert, who is handling a lawsuit filed by shooting survivor Sharita Henderson, asked for access to court docket files and discovery materials that would normally be public in similar cases, including police investigative files and statements by Reinking. Elbert also requested permission to speak to witnesses.
Fishburn agreed to allow more access for the civil attorneys, but said he still needs to work out the specifics.
The judge did not give a specific date for when the trial began but indicated Thursday that it will be held sometime early next year, before the May trial date for the lawsuit.
Reinking faces four counts of first-degree murder, among other charges. He pleaded not guilty in February 2019. He did not appear in court Thursday.
Authorities alleged he was nearly naked and wearing only a green jacket when he began shooting in the Nashville restaurant before a patron wrestled the rifle away from him. The case was put on hold for months after the attack while Reinking was being treated for schizophrenia. A judge later deemed him fit for trial and he was indicted in 2019 on 17 counts.
Nashville District Attorney Glenn Funk's office has said in a court filing that it would seek life in prison without the possibility of parole.
Reinking also faces multiple lawsuits over the shooting, as does his father, Jeffrey Reinking. The father pleaded not guilty to criminal charges in Illinois over accusations that he illegally gave his son the AR-15-style rifle used in the shooting.
- SC discontinues security cover for judge who acquitted all in Babri case
- IDUMUJE-UGBOKO MAYHEM: How Delta state attorney general is frustrating prosecution of murder cases
- Becerra intervenes in Kings County murder case of drug-using woman’s stillborn birth
- Daniel Horowitz a perfect fit as celebrity lawyer
- Kodanad accused fear threat to safety: lawyer
- 'Her death is a work of pure evil': Friends mourn murder of waitress slaughtered in Vienna gun rampage as it’s revealed Islamist gunman was killed when cop shot him in the lung and spine
- Wal-Mart judge praised for compassion, diligence / Colleagues, friends say he is well-suited for sex-bias case
- YNW Melly named in multimillion dollar lawsuit from estates of two men he's accused of murdering
- Scott Peterson’s death penalty overturned in murder of wife, unborn child
- According to Justice Scalia, Trump's Lawyers Should Face Sanctions for 'Litigation Abuse' | Opinion
- What happens next for Oscar Pistorius as his jail sentence for murdering girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp is increased to 13 years
- Bill Cosby Rape Trial: Lawyers Clash In Day 1 Arguments
- Cadaver dogs smell HUMAN REMAINS near Carole Baskin’s missing husband Don Lewis’ lake house
- Shocking case of four Navy sailors wrongly convicted of rape & murder ‘shows anyone can be forced to falsely confess’
- Scott Peterson Makes Remote Appearance In Redwood City Courtroom As Lawyers Push For Retrial
- U.S. Supreme Court ends census-taking, suspending San Jose judge’s order to keep counting
- 5.53 lakh cases pending in Pune district and taluka courts
- Judge rules that torture claims by Al Qaeda mastermind MUST be made public as Government loses secrecy fight
- How old is Robert Rinder and is he a real judge?
- Gang member murdered two teens and stabbed two others in 'armed group ambush'
Judge: Civil lawyers to see more of Waffle House murder case have 619 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at October 7, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.