QUẢNG NGÃI — Local ranger and police forces have been tracking illegal hunters who killed five grey-shanked douc langurs (pygathrix cinerea). The remains of the critically endangered species were found at Kon Căng forest in Kon Dốc commune of the central province's Ba Tơ District.
The grey-shanked douc langur is listed on the International Union for Conservation of Nature red list as one of the world's 25 most critically endangered primates. The primates can only be found in Việt Nam.
Head of Ba Tơ forest protection section, Ngô Vĩnh Phong, said remains of the five endangered primates were found by a patrol on October 8. The local rangers, police and militia recovered valuable evidence left behind by the hunters which they hope will aid their investigation.
He said hunters had left the forest when rangers came, leaving the five corpses, one motorbike, an air tank, 53 dust shots and a silencer at the site.
Phong said the illegal hunters used handmade air guns to kill the primates, based on an examination of the bodies.
The forest is under the management of Ba Tơ forestry private company, he added.
It's the worst illegal hunting case of endangered wildlife in the province since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.
According to Frankfurt Zoological Society, some 1,000 grey-shanked doucs have been found in forests of Quảng Nam, Quảng Ngãi, Bình Định, Kon Tum and Gia Lai.
According to the provincial forest department, at least three illegal logging cases have been found in protected forest areas in Phổ Phong Commune of Đức Phổ Town, Sơn Long Commune of Sơn Tây District and Long Môn Village in Minh Long District between late September and early October.
The province plans to allocate 6ha of coastal forest protection area for the development of the Dung Quất-Sa Huỳnh Road. — VNS
- Perhilitan had no justification to cull dusky langurs in Port Dickson, say animal activists
- Serial killer Dennis Nilsen's chilling recordings air for first time in Netflix trailer
- Police Launch Probe After Minnesota Woman 'Brutally' Beheaded in Broad Daylight
- Belarus exile group leader found dead in Ukraine – murder probe launched
- Reward Soars to $30K for Killer of 13 Bald Eagles (ICYMI)
- Sickening moment killer mum parties on 6-day bender while baby daughter starves to death at home
- Honeymooner avoids jail time for touching endangered Hawaiian monk seal
- Locals fight to save Kangaroo Island's endangered hooded plovers as beach car access increases
- Russian police raid home of investigative journalist
- Endangered baby right whale found dead on Florida beach
- Criminologist claims serial killer Dennis Nilsen was ‘absolutely gay’ and hit on him during an interview
- State Attorneys General Are Launching Antitrust Probes Into Facebook and Google
- Mum of boy, 13, chopped up and EATEN by Satanic killer screamed ‘he’s killed my baby’ after headless body found
- Earth defenceless against 'city-killer' asteroid that could wipe out Europe, NASA finds
- Estranged wife of Bernadette Walker’s killer feels ‘immense guilt’ for not warning teen’s mum off sex-obsessed monster
- Police search for family of woman, 19, found dead as hunt for killer continues
- New York Asian man allegedly targeted in racist attack days after AG launches coronavirus hate crime hotline
- Thailand Launches Wildlife Campaign Against Ivory and Tiger Products
- Will killers of Iraq's activists finally face justice?
- Corrie spoilers for next week: Fire tragedy, killer child, and Craig's betrayal
Investigation launched to find killers of endangered langurs in Quảng Ngãi have 580 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at October 21, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.