|Energy costs push Spain’s inflation to 29-year high – Jersey City, New Jersey, Michael M. Santiago/Getty Images/AFP|
Inflation climbed year on year by 5.5 percent, accelerating from a 4.0 percent increase in September, national statistics institute INE said.
That is its fastest pace in 29 years, since September 1992, when the rate was 5.8 percent.
The surge in inflation in the eurozone’s fourth-largest economy was due largely to a spike in the price of electricity, and to a lesser extent to higher gas prices, it added.
Bank of Spain governor Pablo Hernandez de Cos warned Monday that higher inflation rates are likely to be seen over the coming months since high energy prices are likely to last through the winter as demand rises due to colder weather.
As in other European Union nations, inflation in Spain has risen since the start of the year after consumer prices declined during most of 2020 due to the economic impact of pandemic lockdowns.
The European Central Bank (ECB) expects inflation will rise by 2.2 percent in the entire 19-country single currency area this year, above its target of 2.0 percent.
It has insisted that the inflation spike is “temporary” in nature, driven by one-off pandemic-related effects that will gradually dissipate over the course of 2022.
- Rising claim costs push van insurance prices up by 13%
- Petrol prices hit four-year high with warnings of worse to come
- NHTSA Study Reveals Vehicle Crashes Cost us $871 Billion a Year
- March Madness 2019: SN's Mike DeCourcy ranks 29 years of Final Four experiences
- PSA Peugeot Citroen unveils “Push to Pass” 5-year plan: one-tonne pick-up truck, 7 plug-in hybrids, 4 EVs
- Pushing down energy use — and bills
- Hockey World Cup 2018: Spain vs New Zealand
- 2015 Honda CR-V is the 2015 Motor Trend SUV of the Year
- During week of frustration amid high error count, McIlroy hasn't sounded like a Masters champion
- Why K.J. Wright is beloved, why he’s Seahawks’ nominee for Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year
- 2009 Motor Trend Car of the Year: Introduction and Contenders
- 2014 Motor Trend SUV of the Year Contenders
- 2013 Motor Trend SUV of the Year Contenders
- 1998 Lexus GS 300 – Motor Trend 1998 Import Car Of The Year
- 2012 Truck of the Year Contenders
- 2011 Motor Trend Car of the Year: Chevrolet Volt
- Save £360 a year on fuel with these 8 simple driving tips
- Save Â£360 a year on fuel with these 8 simple driving tips
- 2015 Motor Trend Truck of the Year Contenders
- 2015 Volkswagen Golf is the 2015 Motor Trend Car of the Year
Energy costs push Spain's inflation to 29-year high have 393 words, post on vir.com.vn at October 28, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.