Hanoi (VNA) – The National Steering Committee for Natural Disaster Prevention and Control on October 13 held a ceremony to celebrate International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction and ASEAN Day for Disaster Management (ADDM).
Addressing the event, Deputy Prime Minister Le Van Thanh said that with the theme “Cooperation to overcome challenges together”, the event affirms Vietnam’s determination in cooperating with countries, agencies of the UN and ASEAN, and international organisations in raising global awareness of mitigating disaster risks and improving adaptive capacity and responding more effectively to natural disasters in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Party, State, and Government, local authorities, and socio-political organisations of Vietnam always pay attention to disaster prevention and control, he stressed.
Vietnam has actively joined international organisations and forums related to natural disaster prevention and mitigation, Thanh said, adding that Vietnam always is an active member and effectively contributes to ASEAN’s joint efforts in disaster risk reduction and prevention.
However, there are still many limitations related to forecast, warning, resources, equipment, infrastructure, forces, application of science and technology, and post-disaster recovery, he said. The COVID-19 pandemic poses a requirement to effectively respond to risks when they occur at the same time with natural disasters.
The Vietnamese Government always considers natural disaster prevention and control the top task of the whole political system in order to protect the people’s lives, health, and property, Deputy PM Thanh said.
Vietnam highly values and hopes that countries, organisations and international friends continue to accompany and support Vietnam in early access to advanced science and technology, and resources to promptly respond and quickly overcome impacts and consequences of natural disasters.
Ekkaphab Phanthavong, ASEAN Deputy Secretary-General acknowledged Vietnam’s efforts, saying that Vietnam is a very active member in ASEAN .
Marco Toscano-Rivalta, Chief of the Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific at the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR) hailed the Vietnamese Government's adoption of the national strategy for natural disaster prevention and control./.
- 2017 – one of most successful years of Vietnam’s diplomacy: Deputy PM
- Deputy PM, FM Minh calls on Asia to play stronger role in global issues
- Vietnam supports ASEAN – China cooperation: Deputy PM
- Deputy PM’s visit to deepen Vietnam-Singapore ties
- Vietnam supports Russia in enhancing role in Asia-Pacific: Deputy PM
- Deputy PM hails ambassador's dedication to Vietnam-Australia ties
- Deputy PM welcomes KB Financial Group’s investment expansion
- Google will give out $3 million in cash to victims after the next natural disaster in the U.S.
- Vietnam’s market large enough for Singaporean investors: Deputy PM
- ASEAN, partners meet in Singapore to strengthen defence ties
- Vietnam stresses UNCLOS compliance in ASEAN regional forum
- Vietnam will perform well as ASEAN Chair 2020: ASEAN Secretary General
- PM Phuc expects higher trade value with Belarus
- PM’s visits create milestones in ties with New Zealand, Australia
- Defence officials of ASEAN, dialogue partners meet in Thailand
- Vietnam, Thailand step up political, security cooperation
- Australian PM’s visit to open new prospects for bilateral ties: diplomat
- ASEAN, China, UNDP exchange ideas on poverty reduction
- A more human AI helps an island nation battle hurricanes
- Joint Statement on CLV development triangle cooperation signed
ASEAN cooperation helps effectively respond to natural disasters: Deputy PM have 520 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at October 13, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.