Vietnam hopes to become a food innovation hub in the region, President Nguyen Xuan Phuc said in his message sent to the United Nations (UN) Food Systems Summit held in New York on September 23 (local time).
President Nguyen Xuan Phuc.
In his remarks, President Phuc noted "cooperation among countries, partners, and actors within the food systems must serve the interest of the people". He stressed that food security lays the groundwork for Vietnam's efforts in eradicating poverty, improving the people's living standards, promoting the "transparent, responsible and sustainable" development of the Vietnamese agriculture.
In that spirit, the Vietnamese State leader made several proposals to ensure food security in the context of climate change and the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Vietnamese President highlighted the necessity to pursue a "multi-value" agricultural development model, encompassing socio-economic-cultural issues, landscapes and the environment.
It is necessary to develop a green, low-emission and "nature-based" agriculture that is climate resilient and responsive to the complicated evolution of COVID-19, he stated, adding that priority should be given to promoting rural economic development, ensuring food supplies, reducing food loss and food waste, effectively managing natural resources, and biodiversity conservation.
He called for investment in agricultural infrastructure conducive to agricultural production and rural economic development, noting that private sectors should be encouraged to make responsible investment. , and we should also better expand public-private partnership models.
He suggested formulating and frequently updating a National Nutrition-Balanced Plan as the basis for production and distribution, adding that it is also essential that we step up education and information dissemination to create a healthy food system, appropriate and nutrition-balanced diets, and green and responsible consumption trends, while preventing wastefulness.
President Phuc also said digitalisation needs to be accompanied by policy and institutional reforms that revolve around farmers and consumers. It is also necessary to form sustainable agricultural value chains, focusing on food safety and standardisation of procedures and qualities.
At the same time, to sustainably develop the food systems, it is essential to expand international cooperation in conducting studies and forecasts, and building early warning systems for natural disasters and diseases; and to ensure the sustainable management of land and water resources, biodiversity, cross-border water and marine resources, he said.
The President affirmed that Vietnam stands ready to participate in cooperation arrangements led by the UN.
"If we all work together, nothing is impossible, including the realisation of the SDGs – 2030," concluded the Vietnamese leader./.
- Inside Google's UAE Innovation Hub: 'Innovation is in the early days, but we see a huge appetite to learn'
- Adelaide partners with Cisco to launch IoT innovation hub
- Reading, writing and raisins: how school food innovations are reducing childhood obesity
- Top 10 most innovative nations
- 'Brexit gave us the impetus': How 5G innovation has surged within the UK
- Victorian government to launch fintech hub
- Melbourne tech startups address the most basic of things: food
- Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO) participates in one of the largest innovation events in Asia to address social challenges in ASEAN
- A Trump presidency can make Asia tech great again
- Panel: S'pore can be regional IT hub
- Top 10 innovative cities: Boston leads world in 2010; Paris, Amsterdam follow
- Catalonia forges ahead with plan to turn Barcelona's region into a thriving tech hotspot
- Q&A: Dr. Cynthia Wachtell on car accidents and U.S. presidents
- Why GitHub wants to get involved in Australia's innovation ecosystem
- 3D printing the 'next revolution' in manufacturing: President Obama
- Q&A: Barbara Van Dahlen, founder and president of Give an Hour
- 'GRid70' design hub to incubate innovation in Midwest
- Whole Foods Is Datafying Its Employees to Death
- Why proximity matters for innovation
- Hub life: Africa's techies have found a model to bring together local startups and Western capital
Vietnam wants to become food innovation hub in the region: President have 615 words, post on vietnamnet.vn at September 24, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.