The AFF hosted an online meeting Tuesday afternoon wherein a vote was held among its 11 members to choose the host. Singapore won with seven votes.
Singapore fulfilled all the criteria to organize the tournament, including the government's permission, pandemic response plan, travel convenience and risk insurance if the event was canceled.
Singapore also has high standard facilities to host all matches of the AFF Cup. Its national stadium, with a capacity of 55,000, has hosted many big events like SEA Games 2015 and many other international football tournaments.
The AFF Cup was established in 1996 and Singapore hosted the first edition. The country has organized four AFF Cup tournaments and won four titles so far.
The biggest Southeast Asian football event was supposed to take place in 2020 but was pushed back to late 2021 due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The name AFF Cup 2020 will be maintained for the tournament set to take place from December 5, 2021 to January 1, 2022.
The contestants have been divided into two groups.
Group A consists of Thailand, the Philippines, Myanmar, Singapore and the winner of the play-off between Brunei and Timor-Leste.
Group B has defending champions Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, Cambodia and Laos.
- Asian Football Federation refuses Vietnam proposal to host AFF Cup 2020
- AFF Cup 2020 group stage draw postponed
- AFF Cup 2020 prepared to maintain tournament schedule
- SEA lockdown gives Golden Dragons advantage in AFF Cup title fight
- AFF Cup to allow 30 Vietnamese players
- Striker Cong Phuong could miss AFF Cup
- Vietnam could host AFF Cup on its own
- Vietnam gears up for World Cup qualifiers and AFC Cup 2020
- Thịnh to miss AFF Cup due to injury
- Asia Cup 2020 to be played in Sri Lanka or UAE, no question of moving away for IPL 2020: PCB
- ICC T20 World Cup 2020 likely to be cancelled; IPL 2020 to go ahead?
- Spanish pro makes it two in a row at Vietnam's HTV Cup
- T20 World Cup 2020: ICC to take a call on the fate of the tournament on June 10
- T20 World Cup 2020: BCCI blames Shashank Manohar for ICC's 'delaying tactics' to hurt IPL 2020 preparations
- Vietnam coach rated second best of decade in Southeast Asia
- ICC should wait for a suitable time to host T20 World Cup: Wasim Akram
- With no crowds, T20 World Cup doesn't make any financial sense to Australia; IPL 2020 better option: Murali Kartik
- Asia Cup is cancelled, says Ganguly
- Vietnam’s Korean coach wants to set up football academy in adopted country
- VIETNAM'S BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES JUNE 29
Vietnam to play AFF Cup 2020 in Singapore have 391 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at September 28, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.