Nearly 35 per cent of textile and garment factories in the country are shut down, according to the Vietnam Textile and Apparel Association.
Vietnam is the world’s third largest textile and garment producing country behind only China and Bangladesh.
The market share of its leather and footwear industry is 15 percent after doubling in the last decade. Consumers in the US and Europe will suffer from the disruption, especially as the festive season approaches.
The international sportswear company Nike is a prime example of the importance of Vietnam in the global supply chain. Of its 112 factories, 88 are in Vietnam and produce half of all its footwear products.
Adidas is also facing difficulties since Vietnam accounts for nearly 30 percent of its global supply. Its Taiwanese supplier Pouyuen, which has factories in Vietnam, is among the companies to suspend production.
The Delta variant of Covid that has hit the country has raised questions about the viability of the Vietnamese supply chain so much so that Apple and Google have delayed their shift to Vietnam.
HSBC said the plan to live with Covid-19 that the Vietnamese government is aiming for depends largely on the ability to achieve a broad vaccine coverage rate.
Despite some progress, Vietnam still lags behind other countries in the region in ordering and using vaccines.
Vietnam earned $21.2 billion from garment and textile export, and $12.6 billion from footwear export in the first eight months of this year, year-on-year rises of 9.7 percent and 16.2 percent, respectively, according to the General Statistics Office.
- Industry co-sharing the panacea to improve sustainability of India's supply chain
- Future Supply Chain sells 22% stake to Nippon Express for Rs 641 crore
- Chinese city turns into ghost town after Samsung shifts operation to India, Vietnam
- Trade war to benefit Vietnam’s fashion: Fitch Solutions
- Vietnam's textile industry aims for green standards
- Poor logistics system hindering Vietnam agricultural products’ trade
- Metrc, whose tracing system helps regulators track cannabis from seed to sale, just raised $50 million, including from Tiger Global
- Poor logistics system hinders agricultural products’ trade
- Jair Bolsonaro is forced into action over Amazon wildfire by global outrage as he sends in the Army while a huge American 747 firefighting plane arrives in Bolivia
- India won’t be hit as Aramco races to restore oil supply after drone strikes
- Vietnam textile industry orders hit by African competition
- Poor logistics system hindering Việt Nam agricultural products’ trade
- Vice President Thinh addresses Global Summit of Women’s opening ceremony
- Vietnam’s industrial production expands 11.2 pct in 8 months
- KredX raises $26M in series B funding led by Tiger Global
- Hanjin Shipping bankruptcy causes turmoil in global sea freight
- Final Holden Built In Australia After 69 Years Of Production
- DuPont on Track for Styrofoam™ HFC Compliance as Environmental Regulations Come into Effect; No Product Impact Expected
- Solving the plastics crisis in Vietnam, Asia
- Global trade in and consumption of meat, metals and fossil fuels are putting the world's primates at risk of extinction as their habitats are destroyed, experts warn
Vietnam production slump disrupting global supply chain: HSBC have 475 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at September 13, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.