HÀ NỘI — Việt Nam have discovered who they will face as they begin their defence of the AFF Cup.
They have been drawn in Group B and will play Malaysia, Indonesia, Cambodia and Laos after the draw was made by the ASEAN Football Federation (AFF) in Singapore yesterday.
Group A consists of Thailand, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore and Brunei or Timor Leste.
The play-off match for the final place between Timor Leste and Brunei will take place on December 1. The draw saw Timor Leste confirmed as the away team in the one-off game.
Last year, the AFF decided to postpone the AFF Cup 2020 due to the spread of COVID-19 but now it is rescheduled to be held from December 5, 2021 to January 1, 2022.
Currently, the AFF is still actively working with member federations and co-operative units to decide on a neutral venue for the tournament.
Khiev Sameth, AFF's chairman said at the draw it is a special event for all. This is the time when people overcome the coronavirus pandemic and bring to the audience impressive performances of the players, he said.
The event will offer good matches, but it also must ensure the health of the players and participants in the event.
In the group stage, the first and second-placed teams in each group will advance to two-legged semi-finals.
The two winners of the semi-finals will compete in the first leg's on December 29, 2021 and the second leg's on January 1, 2022.
In the 2018 tournament, Thailand were the defending champions, but lost to Malaysia in the semi-finals.
Việt Nam won the tournament after a 3–2 victory over two legs in the final against Malaysia to secure their second title.
Nguyễn Quang Hải was voted player of the tournament, his three goals helped lift the trophy.
In the first leg of the final, Việt Nam drew 2-2 with Malaysia at the Bukit Jalil National Stadium, Kuala Lumpur.
In the return leg at the Mỹ Đình National Stadium a six minute strike from Nguyễn Anh Đức was enough to secure the victory. VNS
- Matsumoto Kiyoshi comes to Viet Nam
- Jake Fraser-McGurk to lead Australian squad in ICC Under-19 World Cup 2020
- Taiwans WANT - WANT Group comes to Viet Nam
- Viet Nam enjoys record trade value
- Boehringer Ingelheim recognised as Top Employer 2020 in Viet Nam
- ACB, FWD form Viet Nam’s first e-bancassurance partnership
- Taiwan electronics maker plans to invest $172 million in Viet Nam
- Viet Nam's Sky Mavis secures $1.5 million funding led by Animoca Brands
- Generali launches Viet Nams first health insurance product available online and in-store
- Việt Nam, Russia aim to boost ties, international co-operation
- Việt Nam must create non-smoking environment: WHO
- Việt Nam prioritises oil and gas cooperation projects with Russia: PM
- Coach Park announces official list of Việt Nam Nat’l Football Team at AFF Suzuki Cup 2018
- Việt Nam’s women team rise two spots to world No 32
- Việt Nam wants to sustain ASEAN resilience to global challenges: Deputy FM
- Việt Nam enjoys record trade value
- Việt Nam boosts bilateral, multilateral ties at ASEM FMM14
- Việt Nam is ready for UNSC non-permanent membership
- Việt Nam, EU boost comprehensive cooperation
- Việt Nam works to protect human rights
Việt Nam in Group B of AFF Cup 2020 have 556 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at September 21, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.