HÀ NỘI — Việt Nam values and supports the central role of the United Nations (UN) in the global governance system to respond to today’s common challenges and wishes to promote all-round cooperation with the organisation, President Nguyễn Xuân Phúc has said.
President Phúc made the statement during his separate meetings with President of the UN General Assembly Abdulla Shahid and UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres in New York on September 21.
He told the two UN leaders that Việt Nam is exerting utmost efforts in the fight against COVID-19, and putting the safety and health of the people first. He asked the UN to continue supporting Việt Nam during this difficult time, especially in the vaccination drive.
Phúc highlighted that Việt Nam has always made effective contributions to the common work of the UN, including taking on the role of a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council for the 2020-2021 term, participating in peacekeeping operations, implementing the Sustainable Development Goals and the Paris Agreement on Climate Change, participating in elections to UN organisations and contributing to reform efforts to improve performance of the organisation.
Discussing regional and international issues, the two sides emphasised the need to continue strengthening multilateralism with the UN playing a central role, and speeding up the implementation of the 2030 Agenda on Sustainable Development, and the Paris Agreement on climate change.
They agreed to strengthen cooperation between the UN and ASEAN, promote ASEAN’s central role in solving regional issues, and support efforts of the bloc and relevant countries in maintaining peace and stability in the region, upholding respect for international law, especially the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea.
The UN leaders said that they are impressed by Việt Nam’s socio-economic development achievements and appreciated the country's increasing role and position in the region and in the international arena. They spoke highly of Việt Nam’s active, responsible and effective contributions to the UN’s common work, especially as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council as well as in joining UN peacekeeping missions, and implementing sustainable development goals and climate goals.
The UN Secretary-General affirmed that the organisation will continue to pay attention to and support Việt Nam’s response to the pandemic, and always stand side-by-side and assist the country in post-pandemic socio-economic recovery and development.
He also expressed his wish that Việt Nam will contribute more to climate change response efforts, especially raising its commitments to reducing greenhouse gas emissions towards the COP26 Conference in November 2021 in Glasgow. — VNS
- Viet Nam celebrates its Hung founders
- Viet Nam needs to be cautious in the second half of 2020: CIEM
- Viet Nam pivots to circular economy
- Viet Nam vows to partner with Korean firms to overcome hardships: Minister
- Joel Pollak: Media Played Central Role in Pushing Democrats Further Left
- Việt Nam performing UNSC role well: Deputy FM
- Việt Nam calls on parties to fully implement peace agreement in Central African Republic
- Việt Nam-US ties continue to grow, says former Vietnamese Ambassador
- Việt Nam should develop a gambling industry to boost tourism
- Việt Nam urges commitments at Berlin Conference on Libya to be promoted
- Việt Nam backs Haiti government’s constitutional reform
- Việt Nam reaffirms support for peace deal in Colombia
- PMs of Việt Nam and Malaysia discuss issues through phone
- Việt Nam joins UNSC open debate on peace operation, human rights
- Looking back on 25 years of Vietnam-US relations: The role of US Senators
- Việt Nam calls for people-centred solutions to refugee issue
- US and Việt Nam now can call each other friends: US Ambassador
- Việt Nam, UK diplomatic officials hold online talks
- Việt Nam represented at virtual international conference of political parties
- Creating global connections for supporting industries
Việt Nam always supports UN’s central role: President have 646 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at September 22, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.