The sophomore cornerback was pronounced dead at the scene of the shooting, according to authorities
A football player for the University of Utah Utes has died following a house party shooting early Sunday morning, according to authorities.
Salt Lake City police said in a statement that Aaron Lowe, 21, was killed when shots were fired at around 12:20 a.m. local time at the home in the Sugar House neighborhood. An unidentified female was also shot and is in critical condition.
Police said they first received a noise complaint around 10:30 p.m. on Saturday regarding the house party on the 2200 block of South Broadmoor Street. Two hours later, another call came in about a fight involving a weapon at the same address.
As officers approached the scene, a caller reported hearing gunshots from the area in question. Lowe and the other victim were quickly located upon their arrival.
The sophomore cornerback was pronounced dead at the scene. The second victim was taken to a local hospital.
Police chief Mike Brown said he is “deeply saddened” by the death of the “talented young man.”
“The Salt Lake City Police Department grieves with and offers our condolences to the Lowe family and the University of Utah community,” Brown said in a statement. He also offered condolences to the family of the second shooting victim.
Utah football head coach Kyle Whittingham called news of Lowe’s death “devastating” in a statement , adding that the Texas native “will be deeply missed.”
“Our thoughts and prayers are with Aaron’s family and friends, along with the other individual who was harmed in this tragic incident,” Whittingham shared. “Aaron was a great teammate, friend, brother and son and was loved by anyone who crossed paths with him.”
Mark Harlan, athletic director for the University of Utah, called Lowe “a terrific young man, a leader on our football team, and a rock of resiliency and courage” in a separate statement.
An investigation into the incident is ongoing.
“These investigations are complex,” Brown said in his statement. “Our detectives have been hard at work trying to identify the suspect or suspects in this case.”
In August, Lowe was named the first-ever recipient of the Ty Jordan Memorial Scholarship. The award was established after former football student-athlete Ty Jordan, whom Lowe attended high school with, died on Christmas Day in 2020 — less than one week after wrapping up a special freshman season for the U of U.
- Utah Jazz players treating Gordon Hayward’s expected return to Salt Lake as just ‘another game’
- Betrayal comes full circle, says a Salt Lake City gang investigator who developed PTSD, then lost his job
- Utah Jazz roster brings swagger to Salt Lake City as band is back together for encore act
- Man wanted by Metro Gang Unit shot, killed in Salt Lake City in 5th officer involved shooting in a week
- Utah Jazz purple throwback jerseys to celebrate 40-year franchise anniversary in Salt Lake City
- Poll: Nearly half of Salt Lake City residents think homeless issues haven't improved
- Morning links: University of Utah football player ... Donovan Mitchell? BYU's Mary Lake shows off her athleticism
- Salt Lake City mayor hoping another Olympics 'clicks' with committee
- ACLU: Operation Rio Grande in Salt Lake City was 'heavy-handed,' led to long-term 'collateral damage'
- Nation's prosecutors gather in Salt Lake City to discuss best practices for 21st century
- Salt Lake Man Charged After Threatening to Shoot Hispanic Family 'Back to Mexico'
- Former Eastern Hills football player killed at party was ‘as good as they come’
- How to watch, listen, stream or attend the Arizona at Utah football game
- Portland Timbers vs. Real Salt Lake: Players to watch, TV channel, how to watch online
- Utah football: Zack Moss says he'll 'definitely' play Saturday vs. Washington
- Utah Jazz: Player-by-player analysis and projections for the 2018-19 NBA season
- Utah football's special teams have been uncharacteristically mediocre, but looks like fixes are in
- Utah football: Four-star quarterback recruit Jayden Daniels talks Utah visit, 'It is a different vibe, but I like it.'
- Incumbents have early lead in both Salt Lake County law enforcement races
- Utah football recognized as 2008 'national poll champion' in NCAA records book
Utah Football Player Aaron Lowe, 21, Killed During House Party Shooting in Salt Lake City have 771 words, post on people.com at September 26, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.