Ho Chi Minh City police officers have arrested two local people who were accused of colluding with their foreign accomplices to create a false email address through which they asked a U.S. company to transfer money to their designated bank account.
The municipal police on Saturday said that they had detained Nguyen Khac Chuong, 43, and Nguyen Thi Lan Anh, 48, for appropriating US$94,000 from an American firm who has business relations with a Vietnamese company.
The two are facing charges of "appropriation of property by using a computer network, telecommunications network, or electronic device," as prescribed in Vietnam's Penal Code.
Anh had colluded with some foreigners to hack email accounts of Vietnamese enterprises to search for emails relating to payment with their foreign partners to make swindling schemes, police said.
When they illegally accessed the email account of an enterprise based in southern Ba Ria – Vung Tau Province, they discovered this business was going to receive over $94,000 from its U.S. partner.
They went on to create an email address similar to that of the local enterprise and used this fake email to ask the American firm to transfer the amount to a designated bank account.
The account was opened at a bank branch in Phu Nhuan District by Woojin High Tec Co. Ltd., a bogus company set up by Chuong, who was hired by Lan as her aid for VND10 million ($438) per month.
After receiving the payment instructions from the false email, the American firm wired $94,000 to that account, unware of the trick.
On September 20, local police arrested Chuong when he came to the bank to make a withdrawal from the account. Lan was detained shortly after.
Lan told investigators that if the swindle had gone smoothly, she and Chuong would have enjoyed 10 percent and five percent of the proceeds, respectively.
Searching the two suspects’ houses, police seized a lot of objects and materials related to their offense.
- 75 percent of logistics market share held by foreign firms
- HCMC inspection turns up dodgy chemicals held by two firms
- Vietnamese diplomats meet Texas firms
- Vietnamese firms strive to access foreign distribution channels
- Technical transfer programme brings together Vietnamese, RoK businesses
- Vietnamese cars hit street for first time
- First Overseas Vietnamese Economic Forum to be held in RoK
- Vietnamese students scammed by score-tampering offer via hacked university email
- Vietnamese art suffers from a reputation for fakes
- Farmers scammed by fake support centre
- Vietnamese banks sound alarm over cybercrime
- Foreign companies silent on impact of fake goods
- Vietnamese customers cornered by fake labels
- Hanoi, Saigon residents face fake news weekly: survey
- Facebook's security boss to leave firm
- Fake goods may not give up the Prime Day 2019
- Sharp Vietnam denounces fake documents from Asanzo
- U.S. hands over million USD appropriating suspect to VN
- Dirty dozen: Vietnamese firms blacklisted for faking students’ Japanese proficiency
- Vietnamese workers, streaming to Japan, face risks as labor system opens up
Two Vietnamese held for appropriating $94,000 from US firm via fake email have 484 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at September 26, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.