The Walking Dead: Season 11 previewed in tense new trailer
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Rick Grimes (played by Andrew Lincoln) was – and arguably still remains – the face of The Walking Dead ever since it premiered on AMC back in 2010. Now in its 11th and final season, Rick and Lincoln haven't been seen in the horror drama since series nine, although the character is thought to very much remain alive and rumours of a final swan song before TWD comes to a close are as rife as ever. However, Lincoln may have just put a dampener on these predictions as the actor has lined up a huge new role on Netflix – away from the TWD universe.
Lincoln's return to The Walking Dead has long been tipped from the very moment Rick was airlifted to an unknown location in the fifth episode of season nine.
And while a comeback to the flagship drama is yet to be confirmed, Rick is believed to still be returning to screens in a feature-length TWD film about the character.
The ever-expanding The Walking Dead universe has also provided scope for a possible reappearance in spin-off series The Walking Dead: World Beyond – although, again, this hasn't been confirmed.
What has been confirmed, however, is Lincoln will be returning to screens with a number of other big-name stars in the Netflix anthology series, Cabinet of Curiosities.
The Walking Dead: Andrew Lincoln lands new role away from AMC drama (Image: AMC/GETTY)
The Walking Dead: Andrew Lincoln as Rick Grimes in season 9 (Image: AMC)
From Oscar-winner Guillermo Del Toro, the anthology, live-action stories are tipped to "challenge our traditional notions of horror" says Netflix.
Over the course of eight episodes, eight different stories will range from the spine-tingling to all-around creepy.
Very little has been revealed about Lincoln's specific role in the anthology series but it has been confirmed who he'll be starring opposite in his instalment.
Written and directed by Jennifer Kent, Lincoln will appear opposite the likes of Sex/Life's Hannah Galway and Game of Thrones star Essie Davis.
The Walking Dead: Andrew Lincoln with Norman Reedus (Image: GETTY)
And he isn't the only Hollywood A-lister tapped to appear in the series as Oscar-winner F Murray Abraham will also star.
Abraham will appear in an episode alongside Ransom's Luke Roberts and Ma Rainey's Black Bottom star Glynn Turman.
Shadow and Bone's Ben Barnes, Watchmen's Tim Blake Nelson, Euphoria's Elpidia Carrillo and Fear the Walking Dead star Glynn Turman are just four other big names to appear in the project.
If the new role will affect Rick Grimes' potential season 11 return on The Walking Dead remains to be seen.
DON’T MISS: The Walking Dead season 11: Daryl to kill Negan as star drops hint The Walking Dead: Showrunner opens up on 'dark' final season The Walking Dead’s Jeffrey Dean Morgan pays tribute to late co-star
However, even when season 11 of The Walking Dead does come to a close, the TWD universe won't stop there.
As well as the Rick Grimes films, AMC has unveiled plans for a spin-off centred on Daryl (Norman Reedus) and Carol (Melissa McBride).
Sadly, the details are still being kept under wraps with so much of season 11 to play out.
However, showrunner Angela Kang has shed light on how production on the upcoming spin-off is going.
She told Digital Spy: "We knew that Daryl/Carol was coming. The decisions for that, plus the show ending – they didn’t happen simultaneously, but they happen to kind of mirror each other."
“So we were already working on the writing for this season a bit by the time we knew that this was going to be the last season. But then the episode order got extended.”
Fans will have to keep their eyes peeled on TWD to see just how the series moves forward and whether Rick will reappear.
The Walking Dead season 11 continues Sunday on AMC in the USA and the following day on Star via Disney+ in the UK.
- Law & Order Organized Crime's Nick Creegan lands exciting DC role away from NBC drama
- The Syndicate’s Joe Sugg branded ‘an insult to the North’ as BBC drama sparks casting row
- THE RISE & FALL OF A STAR / How the king of California Cuisine lost an empire
- Yellowstone season 4: John to sell ranch for airport as fans ‘solve’ plans in new theory
- The 15 best Korean dramas on Netflix, from Squid Game to Kingdom and Crash Landing on You
- May the Fourth be with you: What to expect from the new Star Wars films
- Ricarlo Flanagan dead: Shameless actor and Last Comic Standing semi-finalist dies aged 40
- Game of Thrones fans gobsmacked by Lyanna Mormont star transformation inH new BBC role
- Meghan Markle 'wants' superhero role as she plans 'return to acting'
- Coronation Street's Georgia Taylor glad to see Toyah's 'Battersby fire' return
- Tory MP David Amess dead following horrific knife attack in Essex church
- Katey Sagal on her return to a sitcom and favorite roles
- Rolling Stones Gather a New Drummer, and a Renewed Lust for Live, at L.A.'s SoFi Stadium: Concert Review
- Is John Dutton a real person in Yellowstone?
- Yellowstone season 4: Beth Dutton death 'sealed' as fans expose huge Lloyd clue?
- The Durst Dynasty’s Rise, a Scion’s Descent
- Adams Is Keeping a Low Profile as Election Day Nears
- COBRA season 2: Writer 'refused' to accept pandemic plot before coronavirus 'Bit boring!'
- Has Mark Harmon's Agent Gibbs left NCIS for good?
- The Nerd's Watch: Best Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Horror Streaming in October
The Walking Dead’s Rick Grimes star lands new role away from AMC drama amid return rumours have 1114 words, post on www.express.co.uk at September 3, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.