Thailand’s SCG Packaging Pcl (SCGP) on Monday announced an 11.8 billion baht ($353.93 million) expansion in its packaging paper business in Vietnam, anticipating growth in demand.
A new facility will be built in Vinh Phuc province in northern Vietnam, to begin operations in early 2024, which will raise total production capacity to 870,000 tonnes of packaging paper per year, up from 500,000, SCGP said in a statement.
It will be run by Vina Kraft Paper, a joint venture between SCG Packaging and Japan’s Rengo Company, of which SCGP holds 70%.
“Vietnam has strong domestic consumption and is an important export base in the region, a big draw for multinational companies to invest their operations there,” chief executive Wichan Jitpukdee said.
Wichan anticipated Vietnamese demand growth of 6% to 7% annually until 2025.
SCGP, a unit of Thailand’s largest industrial conglomerate, Siam Cement Pcl, said it would use cash and debt to finance the expansion.
The facility is the latest move by a Thai firm to expand in Southeast Asia, with Vietnam, a fast-growing country of 98 million people, among the most desirable.
Lender Bank of Ayudhya Pcl last month said it would acquire a consumer finance company, SHB Finance in Vietnam for $155 million.
The pandemic has hit Thailand’s badly. In August, the government cut its 2021 economic growth forecast to 0.7 to 1.2% from 1.5 to 2.5%, the third time it has done so.
The Thai economy slumped 6.1% last year.
Vietnam’s outlook was brighter with the government expecting up to 4% growth.
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS JANUARY 8
- VIETNAM NEWS DECEMBER 29
- VIETNAM NEWS JANUARY 8
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS JANUARY 9
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS JANUARY 10
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS JANUARY 1
- VIETNAM NEWS JANUARY 4
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS DECEMBER 31
- VIETNAM NEWS JANUARY 1
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS JANUARY 4
- VIETNAM NEWS JANUARY 5
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS DECEMBER 30
- VIETNAM NEWS JANUARY 9
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS JANUARY 6
- China’s investment in Thailand forecast to increase in coming years
- Vietnam has 90% chance to attend FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023: head coach
- VIETNAM NEWS DECEMBER 30
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS JANUARY 7
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS DECEMBER 29
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS JANUARY 5
Thailand's SCG Packaging plans $353 mln Vietnam expansion have 327 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at September 20, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.