Singapore (VNA) – Singapore will begin trialling the import of hydropower from Laos via Thailand and Malaysia, following an agreement between Keppel Electric and Electricite Du Laos (EDL) announced on September 15.
The exclusive framework agreement between the two is part of the Laos-Thailand-Malaysia-Singapore Power Integration Project (LTMS-PIP), an inter-government project to study the feasibility of cross-border power trade from Laos to Singapore.
The trial will start, likely in 2022, after all legal, commercial and technical issues are completed by the four involved countries.
The move to import renewable energy is crucial in helping Singapore meet its climate goals. Currently, more than 95 percent of energy consumed in the island country is generated from burning natural gas, a fossil fuel that releases planet-warming carbon dioxide when burned.
The Government has said that Singapore faces constraints in reducing emissions from the energy sector, as the country lacks land for large solar farms as well as access to other forms of renewable energy.
EDL will export and Keppel will import up to 100MW of renewable hydropower from Laos to Singapore via Thailand and Malaysia using existing interconnectors./.
- Mexico Border Wall Won’t Stop Cross-border Power Push
- Solar Eclipse Will Test European Power Grids
- Let’s Build a Global Power Grid
- Future tech requires a sustainable backbone
- Germany Takes the Lead in HVDC
- Science for the AU-EU partnership
- Could Europe's New Grid Algorithm Black-out Belgium?
- How Blockchains Will Help Connect Billions to Electricity and Financial Services
- Governments eye their own blockchain cryptocurrencies
- The New Standard-Bearer
- The UK is leaving the EU: Brexit industry reaction
- Congress and Clinton Duplicate E-Commerce Initiatives
- The magic behind the EU’s most lit Twitter account
- Why Netflix is poised to become the biggest TV network in the world
- The Young and the Reckless
- Closing the Circuit
- Dividing the Water
- More Missiles Than Megawatts
- Technology Priorities for the White House
- A Pumped Hydro Energy-Storage Renaissance
Singapore to trial import of renewable hydropower from Laos in cross-border power trade deal have 299 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at September 17, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.