SEOUL — South Korea’s daily COVID-19 infections topped 3,000 for the first time as an outbreak fuelled by this week’s three-day holiday spreads, authorities said on Saturday.
Friday’s 3,273 coronavirus cases surpassed the previous high a day earlier, the Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency (KDCA) said, taking the nation’s tally to 298,402 infections and 2,441 deaths.
Domestically transmitted cases accounted for 3,245 of the new infections, while 28 were imported. More than 77% of the former were in Seoul and areas neighbouring the capital, which is home to about half the population of 52 million.
“We estimate that the surge in travel during the Thanksgiving holiday, as well as the increase in person-to-person contact, could be major reasons for the sharp increase,” said the agency’s director, Jeong Eun-kyeong.
The current outbreak of the highly infectious Delta variant has contributed to the jump in infections, she told a briefing.
Daily infections may continue to surge over the next one or two weeks, she added, urging people to delay or cancel private gatherings over the period.
The mortality rate and the number of severe cases remain relatively low and steady at 0.82% and 339, respectively, helped by vaccinations that focused on older people at high risk of severe infection, the KDCA said.
The number of coronavirus tests jumped more than 50% to 227,874 from a week earlier, it added.
Authorities have urged those returning from the holiday to get tested even for the mildest symptoms similar to COVID-19, especially before going back to work.
By Friday, 73.5% of the population had received at least one dose of vaccine, with nearly 45% fully inoculated.
- So much for Prof Gloom and Dr Doom's scary chart: Britain's daily Covid-19 cases are less than HALF what Sir Patrick Vallance and Professor Chris Whitty's predicted they would be by now
- India reports under 50K new daily COVID-19 cases since 8 days; active caseload contracts further
- India’s daily Covid-19 cases again jump to over 38,600; recoveries above 8.33 mn
- India reports under 50,000 new daily Covid-19 cases since 8 days; active caseload contracts further
- India’s daily Covid-19 case count drops to 41,400; tally crosses 8.8 million
- India’s daily Covid-19 cases jump to 45,576; tally over 8.95 million
- India’s records less than 50,000 daily Covid-19 cases for 6th day in a row, active cases below 4.9 lakh
- Iraq reports 1,786 daily COVID-19 cases, lowest since July
- Iran sets new record in daily COVID-19 cases; Morocco's tally crosses 300,000
- NYS governor warns of COVID-19 cases surge in holiday season
- Canada's daily COVID-19 cases continue rising
- Japan's daily COVID-19 cases top 2,000 for first time
- Coronavirus | Daily COVID-19 cases in the Capital continue to dip
- Russia reports record high of daily COVID-19 cases
- Tokyo raises virus alert to highest as daily COVID-19 cases set record
- Japan reports record-high daily COVID-19 cases for 3rd straight day
- Japan sees spike in daily COVID-19 cases for 4th straight day, to suspend domestic travel campaign
- Japan's daily COVID-19 cases top 2,000 for 1st time
- Turkey's daily COVID-19 cases exceed 5,000
- Turkey's daily COVID-19 cases exceed 6,000
S.Korea's daily COVID-19 cases top 3,000 for first time after holiday have 472 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at September 25, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.