Hanoi (VNA) – President Nguyen Xuan Phuc arrived at J. F. Kennedy International Airport, New York, on September 20 evening (local time), to attend the general debate of the United Nations General Assembly's 76th session and hold a number of bilateral activities in the US.
Vietnam officially joined the UN on September 20, 1977. Cooperation between Vietnam and the UN has contributed to protecting and promoting national interests, especially maintaining and consolidating a peaceful, secure and favourable environment for national development.
The collaboration has also helped Vietnam integrate into the world more intensively and extensively, and improve the country's position and image in the international arena.
Vietnam has sent a total of 243 officers to UN peacekeeping missions in South Sudan, the Central African Republic, and the Department of Peacekeeping Operations in New York, and deployed three level-2 field hospitals in South Sudan.
The UN also holds Vietnam in high regard in terms of the percentage of female personnel in peacekeeping operations (12 percent).
Vietnam officially won the election to become a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council (UNSC) for the 2020-2021 tenure after getting 192 votes out of the 193 UN members.
The country has actively and proactively contributed to common activities of the UNSC, worked to promote bilateral ties with UNSC members, and carried forward its role as a non-permanent member of the UNSC and ASEAN Chair 2020 at the same time.
During his stay in the US from until September 24, President Phuc is scheduled to attend the opening ceremony of the UN General Assembly's 76th session, and the Global COVID-19 Summit themed "Ending the Pandemic and Building Back Better."
He will hold bilateral meetings with leaders of countries on the sidelines of the General Assembly, and receive and hold dialogues with leaders of many major groups and businesses of the US, to call on them to pour more investments in Vietnam./.
- Nurses Strike in New York: Threat Increases Over ‘Safe Staffing’ Levels
- Failing New York Subway? Not Always — Once There Were Chandeliers
- New York Fashion Week 2019: Celebrity Style and Front Row at NYFW in Pictures
- Donald Trump Invited the New York Times Publisher to an Off-the-Record Dinner, Was Turned Down
- New York, strange yet familiar
- “Beauty in the lens” Film Festival kicked off in New York
- Adesto Technologies to Host Analyst Day in New York on March 12
- Amid measles outbreak, new push to end vaccination loophole in New York
- Facing opposition, Amazon reconsiders New York headquarters site
- SPX to Host Analyst and Investor Event on March 5th in New York City
- New York Investigators Could 'Indict' Donald Trump While He's Still President, Watergate Prosecutor Says
- Bloomberg, Duperreault to discuss Bermuda-US business synergies at BDA industry forum in New York City
- Donald Trump Should Fear New York Prosecutors More Than Mueller, Preet Bharara Says
- Chelsea Clinton Blasted At Vigil By New York University Students: New Zealand Shootings 'Stoked by People like You'
- Top lawmakers: Progress but no details on New York budget
- New York City's healthcare-for-all collides with hospital woes
- CFA Society New York Welcomes Four Prominent Members to Board of Directors
- PyroGenesis CEO to Present at the 5th Annual Gabelli & Company Waste Services Symposium in New York City
- New York Jets unveil new uniforms, logo, colors (photos)
- Portland woman studying in New York dies after falling from clock tower
President arrives in New York for attendance at UNGA’s 76th session have 558 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at September 21, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.