London (VNA) – The Vietnamese Embassy in the UK held a ceremony on September 20 to celebrate the 76th anniversary of the National Day, gathering more than 500 guests from the host country’s parliament, ministries, sectors, localities, international organisations in the UK and the Vietnamese community in the country.
Speaker of the House of Commons of the UK Lindsay Hoyle ; Minister of State at the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Amanda Milling, Secretary of State for Defence Ben Wallace; and Communist Party of Britain (CPB) General Secretary Robert Griffiths were among guests.
Addressing the event, Vietnamese Ambassador to the UK Nguyen Hoang Long underlined that the event also aims to celebrate the friendship between Vietnam and partners and all countries in the world.
Highlighting the achievements that Vietnam has made after 35 years of "Doi Moi" (Renewal), the diplomat noted that from a war-torn country, Vietnam has become the fourth leading economies in ASEAN and the 37th in the world, as well as one of the most open economies with the signing of 14 free trade agreements (FTA), including new generation deals.
As a responsible member of the United Nations, Vietnam has been elected as a non-permanent member of the United Nations Security Council twice, and excellently performed the role of ASEAN Chair twice, including in 2020 amid the challenging situation due to COVID-19, he said.
The diplomat also spotlighted the growth of the Vietnam-UK strategic partnership over the years, including many high-level visits to each other.
He underlined that Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh's participation in the 2021 United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP26) in Glasgow, Scotland this November and Foreign Minister Bui Thanh Son's attendance at the G7-ASEAN Foreign Ministers' Meeting will contribute to strongly boosting the bilateral partnership in the future.
At the ceremony, the Vietnamese Embassy honoured a number of individuals and organisations in the UK for supporting Vietnam in COVID-19 prevention and control activities. They have raised about 575,400 USD in cash and medical supplies for Vietnam.
The embassy also auctioned three paintings by Vietnamese young painters for 6,700 pounds (9,158 USD) for the COVID-19 fight at home.
Participants also had a chance to enjoy a photo collection featuring UNESCO-recognised tangible and intangible heritages of Vietnam, as well as Vietnamese culture and cuisine./.
- 30 things to do in London when it rains
- London lockdown on a knife edge: Tier decision 'could go either way' as business leaders Tories AND Sadiq Khan all say capital MUST be Tier 2 - because cases are lower than national average and going DOWN
- SAGE's Christmas warning: Covid cases could 'easily DOUBLE' over a few days if restrictions are eased between December 23 and 27, advisers claim
- Boris Johnson's decision to impose tougher Covid tiers will cost Britain £900million a DAY, say experts as it emerges almost the entire nation is to be banned from socialising indoors until April
- UK posts 20,530 more coronavirus cases and 224 deaths but SAGE believes R rate has dropped slightly and ONS estimates 35,200 people in England got infected every day last week in a 'hopeful' sign the outbreak is slowing down
- Diwali 2020: How celebrations will change this year as Covid keeps families apart
- WHO: Have Christmas Picnic in Park Instead of Family Dinner to Stop Corona Spread
- Fairuz: Celebrated Lebanese singer turns 85
- BBC apologises after radio caller uses gay slurs and says N-word eight times
- Locked in until Easter: Almost the entire nation is to be banned from socialising indoors until April as Tories accuse Government of catastrophic damage to economy with Tier system
- SHOPdown! Primark queue stretches over 1000ft and thousands of bargain hunters descend on Cardiff as stores selling non-essential items reopen on first weekend after 'firebreak' ended
- What a way to run a country! The hatreds, tears and tantrums behind the ousting of Dominic Cummings revealed - and the 'victory party' thrown by Carrie Symonds to celebrate
- Season 4 of 'The Crown' spotlights era of female leadership
- Gordon Ramsay RETURNS to Cornwall after sparking fury by 'flouting guidelines' while spending first lockdown at his £4m second home
- NTAs 2019: Megan Barton Hanson and Wes Nelson look worse for wear as they head home in the early hours... HOURS after she was hospitalised with kidney infection
- How the English Pilgrims forefathers of 10 million living Americans got cancelled: This month's 400th anniversary of The Mayflower's arrival has been ignored because of 'charlatans' who want to make America's history all about slavery instead
- British Library adds Poet Laureate Ted Hughes to a dossier linking him to slavery and colonialism
- Mansour: Why We Chose 1620 as the Year of ‘Our True Founding,’ not 1619
- 'It's simply untrue' that Julian Assange put sources' lives in danger with Wikileaks revelations says his father – as his US extradition hearing is told he is a 'high risk' of suicide
- Britons should steer clear of singing, dancing and even BOARD GAMES at Christmas and isolate for two weeks before and after the five-day 'bubble break', government scientists advise
National Day celebration held in London have 852 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at September 21, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.