A Vietnam court has given capital punishment to a man who shot and killed an anti-drug police officer in the northern province of Thanh Hoa in February.
The provincial People's Court on Friday sentenced 40-year-old Sung A Chia to death on charges of murder while giving life imprisonment to his three accomplices, Sung A Tong, Thao A Minh and Phang A Pao, aged 21 to 30, for the same offense.
All the four men resided in the province's Muong Lat District.
On February 6, the district police unit assigned five officers, including Major Vi Van Luan, to conduct patrols to detect people engaged in storage, transport and trade of drugs.
When the team came to Muong Ly Commune, they spotted Chia and Tong standing on a road, with guns in their hands.
The team, with Luan taking the lead, approached the two suspicious men and asked them to show their personal papers in suspecting that they were drug traffickers.
Chia suddenly fired a bullet at Luan's chest while Tong also opened fire on the police team.
At that time, Minh and Pao, who were on a nearby mountain, began shooting down to support Chia and Tong to escape the scene.
Luan was taken immediately to a hospital but he died on the way.
Two days later, local police arrested Tong and they subsequently detained Chia and Minh. On May 18, Pao turned himself to police.
In addition to the sentences given to the defendants, the court ordered Chia and his accomplices to pay damages to Luan's family and give supports to the two children of the victim.
- Man killed in second shooting in Ho Chi Minh City in 2 days
- Man Gets Life In Fatal Philadelphia Shooting Over $10 Drug Deal
- Man Gets 8-Year Prison Term In Shooting Death Outside Oakland Illegal Gambling Club
- Dylann Roof, Charleston church shooter, gets nine life sentences
- The terrible crimes committed by women on death row
- OPINION | Why Death for Nirbhaya Convicts Makes Buddha, Gandhi Inconvenient Icons for a Masculine Nation
- Lorry driver, 23, who is wanted over deaths of 39 migrants in refrigerated truck in Essex can be extradited from Ireland, judge rules
- Crushed by Britain's FBI: The brazen gangs flooding the UK with 'drop dead' drug that's killed 36,000 Americans
- Taken away in chains: Man arrested over PC Sharon Beshenivsky's murder says he has nothing to apologise to her family for as he arrives in Pakistani court for extradition hearing
- US officials are 'investigating' 110 patients across 26 states for deadly coronavirus that has struck five Americans so far - but the CDC has the nation's ONLY test for the killer infection
- 'They took him into their hearts, knowing nothing of his monstrous obsession with drugs, death and DEPRAVITY': Tragic Louella's family treated her lover like a son... he repaid them by killing her
- 2 Students Killed In Shooting At Saugus High School In Santa Clarita; Suspect Opened Fire On 16th Birthday
- China hardens virus defences as death toll hits 56
- Two people are tested for coronavirus on the Gold Coast as four are examined in NSW - while global death toll from deadly disease hits 26
- Indian shot dead at daughter's party after taking hostages
- Husband hunted down and shot his wife in head at the dentist - then jeered 'she's dead'
- Amid the tears and cheers, a full stop to Britain's colonial experience in Northern Ireland
- Hero barrister who was GB athlete confronts man shouting 'I will murder you!' and restrains him in Old Bailey courtroom riot as five drill rappers are sentenced to 116 years for sword murder of gang rival
- Goldie Taylor—Terence Crutcher Walked to Police for Help. They Shot Him Dead.
- Vietnam confirms eighth case of nCoV infection
Man gets death sentence for shooting policeman dead in northern Vietnam have 617 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at September 25, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.