HÀ NỘI — Fourteen foreign television channels will end broadcasts in Việt Nam next month, according to the Authority of Broadcasting and Electronic Information under the Ministry of Information and Communications.
In their announcements, Disney Networks Group Asia Pacific Limited and Buena Vista International Inc said they will end their broadcasts across Southeast Asia and Hong Kong from October 1.
The channels include Fox Movies, Fox Family Movies, Fox Action Movies, Fox, Fox Life, Fox Crime, FX, along with Channel V, Fox Sports, Fox Sports 2, Fox Sports 3 and National Geographic People which belong to Disney Networks, and Disney Channel and Disney Junior of Buena Vista International.
All of them are now owned by Disney after the company acquired Fox.
It said the move is part of a global pivot towards a direct-to-consumer model. It launched its Disney+ streaming service in the region this year.
According to the Director of ClipTV Phan Thanh Giản, the suspension of some channels had in fact started in May on the over-the-top television system and would be applied to all 14 channels mentioned above across all platforms by October.
There is currently no information on the distribution of the 14 channels in Southeast Asia after October 1.
The authority has asked paid TV services providers to promptly review the list of current foreign channels so as to build suitable business plans.
According to an insider, users of pay-TV services would likely be replaced by some other channels, but there are no specific plans as yet. VNS
- Voice of Viet Nam lauded for producing captivating broadcasts
- Lao leader hails special friendship with Viet Nam
- Viet Nam to be advertised on CNN
- Viet Nam enhances diabetes screening
- Ukraine-Based Crimean Tatar TV Channel Blames Lack of State Funding for Imminent Closure
- Motorsport.tv To Exclusively Broadcast FIA World Rallycross Championship Live In UK & Ireland
- House Democrats Query TV Channel Distributors Over Carriage Of “Misinformation Rumor Mills” Fox News, Newsmax And OAN
- Countdown to launch of Viet Nam’s first car brand at Paris Motor Show
- Verizon says could stop offering Hearst TV channels amid price dispute
- Việt Nam – responsible member of int’l community, says PM
- Việt Nam prepares for second DPRK-US summit
- Tuyên Quang TV tower goes up in flames
- Supply chain the key to sustainable farming production in Việt Nam
- Dominican Republic wants to boost ties with Việt Nam
- President says Viet kieu inseparable part of nation
- Latest broadcasting technology to be displayed
- 95 years of Việt Nam's revolutionary press
- PM launches news channel
- Viettel to sponsor live broadcast of ASIAD 2018
- No speakers’ daily broadcasts in four Hà Nội city districts
Int'l TV channels to stop broadcasting in Việt Nam have 449 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at September 23, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.