Phnom Penh (VNA) – The ASEAN Regional Mine Action Centre (ARMAC) launched the Friends of ARMAC (FOA) group in both in-person and virtual forms on September 23, with the participation of about 120 delegates.
The FOA is an initiative raised by then Vietnamese Ambassador to Cambodia Vu Quang Minh when Vietnam assumed Chair of ARMAC Steering Committee 2020, with an aim to bolster the centre's image and prestige and attract more resources for its activities in the future.
More than 50 agencies, organisations and businesses have signed up to become friends of ARMAC, including those from Vietnam.
Addressing the launch ceremony held at the Embassy of Vietnam, Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of Cambodia Prak Sokhonn spoke highly of the idea to foster contributions to humanitarian aid in handling unexploded ordnances.
As a country that heavily suffered from consequences of war-time bombs, mines and explosive remnants of war (ERW), Vietnam appreciated ARMAC 's contributions for an ASEAN and a world free of bombs and mines, said Chargé d’affaires at the Vietnamese Embassy in Cambodia Lai Xuan Chien.
He added that Vietnam has called on its businesses to join in the centre's efforts.
ARMAC is a centre of excellence under the ASEAN Security Cooperation to encourage efforts to address landmines and ERW for interested ASEAN member states. Inaugurated on May 25, 2016, the centre aims to collectively tackle the humanitarian aspects of landmines and ERW through an integrated approach of experience sharing, skills training, and other capacity building activities.
Vietnam contributed 10,000 USD to the centre's activities in 2020./.
- ASEAN ministers agree on prioritized actions for environmental sustainability
- Vietnam, ASEAN, and free trade pacts
- Photo and documentary film exhibition on ASEAN community opens
- Transatlantic Task Force on Ukraine’s 2019 elections is launched
- News.Az — Your Window to the Region Azerbaijan's First Customer Support Line
- Why does Industrial Transformation ASIA-PACIFIC mean to regional countries?
- Turkey launches offensive against Kurdish fighters in Syria
- UK marine scientists begin work to deliver marine litter action in South Pacific
- Vietnam ICT Summit 2019 officially launched
- Business Breakfast LIVE: Go-Ahead Group hit with sanctions following train timetable chaos
- WB chief economist suggests actions for Vietnam to overcome challenges
- POLITICO Pro Morning Mobility: Connected cars — ASEAN-EU troubled skies — BMW’s battery plan
- Turkey launches military offensive in Syria after Trump pulls back US troops
- Vietnam, Indonesia lead ASEAN in Internet economy growth: Google report
- How a German art group aims to name and shame far-right Chemnitz protesters
- Europe’s struggle to bring coal regions along for the transition
- Turkey to launch larger scale anti-terror ops east of Euphrates River in Syria, Erdoğan says
- 'A bloody conflict': Trump's actions in Syria will have long-term consequences
- Senior center donating bingo proceeds to CNMI
- Turkish forces launch operation against crime group in Syria's Afrin
ASEAN Regional Mine Action Center launches FOA group have 459 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at September 23, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.