|A woman receives the Sinovac Covid-19 coronavirus vaccine during a mass vaccination at Praja Raksaka Udayana Military Regional Command in Denpasar, on Indonesia’s resort island of Bali on August 4, 2021. SONNY TUMBELAKA / AFP|
Southeast Asia’s biggest economy has now detected Delta in dozens of regions since it was first found in the archipelago in June.
Scores of Indonesians are dying at home, unable to access hospital care or medical oxygen supplies as health care facilities are stretched to the limit.
More than 3.5 million infections have been recorded to date though official figures are widely believed to be an underestimate.
“The deaths happened… mainly because of lateness to recognise the severity of the symptoms and to refer patients,” said Covid-19 taskforce spokeswoman Siti Nadia Tarmizi.
Indonesia reported 1,747 new deaths on Wednesday, bringing its total to 100,636.
LaporCovid, an NGO that has developed a citizen reporting platform for Covid-19 data, said more than 2,600 patients died at home between the beginning of June and July 24.
Indonesia announced stricter restrictions on July 3 and has extended the policy twice in areas where infection numbers and hospital bed occupancy rates are high.
Offices, shopping malls and schools are closed while dining in at restaurants is limited to 20 minutes.
The curbs have started to take a toll on the country’s economy which entered a recession at the end of last year for the first time since the 1997 Asian financial crisis.
“Financially, it really affects me. I have very few customers because people don’t go to the office,” Dicky, a ride-hailing driver who like many Indonesians goes by just one name, told AFP.
The country aims to vaccinate 208 million of its 270 million citizens but the vaccination rate remains far below the government’s one-million-a-day target.
Only about eight percent of the population have been fully inoculated.
- Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer urge Donald Trump to order flags lowered to half staff when coronavirus deaths hit 100,000 as 'a national expression of grief'
- Global report: Moscow relaxes lockdown despite high caseload; Nigerian deaths rise
- Indonesia conducts regional election during pandemic
- Indonesia: Over three-fourths of COVID-19-hit-labourers return to work
- EXCLUSIVE: Steve Bing's estate is hit with yet another demand - this time from charity that he pledged $30M to before committing suicide, along with $100k Amex bill and $5k massage tab
- Regional head elections held in Indonesia
- Deadly earthquake strikes Indonesia's Lombok island
- Indonesia receives over a million Chinese Covid-19 vaccine doses
- America's worst day of the pandemic so far: US hits record 2,879 deaths, 100,667 patients in hospital and 217,664 new cases - as Fauci warns the post-Thanksgiving surge is still to come and LA is reduced to a ghost town after lockdown is ordered
- UK Coronavirus death toll passes 60,000 with the most daily deaths since May: Britain records 367 more Covid-19 deaths - but outbreak continues to slow with Infections up just 7% in a week
- Northern England was hit hardest by both the Covid-19 and 1918 Spanish flu pandemics, study shows
- National lockdown had 'minor and short-lived impact' on coronavirus in London’s worst-hit borough Havering, warns public health director as city faces Tier Three next week – but mayor Sadiq Khan says toughest rules are 'not inevitable'
- COVID's deadliest day: US deaths surpass 3,000 for first time since virus took hold in America and a record 106k are hospitalized - up nearly 20% in just two weeks
- Post-Thanksgiving COVID hospitalizations hit a record 93,238 after Biden's coronavirus adviser said 'many who spent the holidays with loved ones will be in ICU by Christmas' and Fauci warned of a 'surge upon the surge'
- Iran's total COVID-19 cases hit 1,051,374; Turkey reports record daily deaths
- Virus infections in Russia hit new record
- China's Hubei province reports 242 new coronavirus deaths on Feb 12, new cases rise 14,840
- Covid-19 hospitalizations hit another record, as official warns of the most difficult time in US public health history
- Revealed: Up to a QUARTER of official Covid-19 'admissions' may be patients who caught the virus IN HOSPITAL, data shows
- COVID Restrictions: As Virus Slams Rural California, Many Still Pan Shutdown Orders
Virus-wracked Indonesia hits 100,000 deaths have 650 words, post on vir.com.vn at August 4, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.