BERLIN, Aug 3 (Bernama): Vietnam has surpassed Bangladesh as the world's second largest exporter of ready-made garments (RMG), Fashion United, an international B2B fashion platform, quoted the World Trade Statistical Review 2021 released by World Trade Organisation (WTO) said.
Bangladesh is now in third position, with China remaining the largest exporter accounting for 31.6 market share despite a 7 percent decrease in 2020, valuing its exports at 142 billion USD, said the report.
According to Vietnam news agency (VNA), Vietnam's clothing exports increased by 6.4 percent in 2020 with a market value of US$29 billion.
Bangladesh output declined during the pandemic, with factories closed as many western brands cancelled orders or delaying payments, it said.
It added that ongoing compliance issues have also forced closures while Vietnam managed to diversify its production making not just low-end, fast fashion garments but also mid and high-end clothing and accessories.
In 2019 Vietnam and the European Union signed a free trade agreement which significantly boosted trading to the world's largest bloc. – Bernama
- Vietnam’s apparel sector increasingly attractive to foreign investors
- Coffee price crisis hits Vietnamese export value
- As Russia expands Pacific pipeline, a third of oil exports go East
- Garment, textile industry needs to give domestic market appropriate attention
- Garment, textile export falls short of target but surplus impressive: VITAS
- Vietnam posts record trade surplus of nearly US$11 billion
- About 100 firms join Vietnam International Fashion Fair 2019
- Vietnam considers safeguard measures for apparel sector under CPTPP
- Over 100 enterprises join Vietnam International Fashion Fair 2019
- Vietnam to gain $11b from wood and forest product exports this year
- Vietnam remains attractive investment destination for German firms
- After Trump Rebuke, Vietnam Scrambles to Avoid US Trade Dispute
- Export of tra fish expected to reach $2.06 billion this year
- Malaysia plans to raise crude palm oil export tax
- Vietnam, South Korea to curb visa brokering
- South Korean investors dominate M&A deals in Vietnam
- Russian arms exports to India fall 42% between 2014-18 and 2009-13: Sipri
- Vietnam extends visa exemption to eight countries till 2022
- Vietnam’s trade deficit with China hits record high of US$31 billion
- Xiaomi, MAIT want MEIS export sops back
Vietnam becomes second largest garment exporter have 335 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at August 6, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.