Two people drowned, two others were hospitalized, and a child remains unaccounted for after swimming at a beach full of strong waves in Phu Quoc Island City off Kien Giang Province in southern Vietnam on Sunday afternoon.
Rescuers were still looking for the nine-year-old child as of 8:00 pm on the same day.
The child had gone with six other people to Dat Do beach in An Thoi Ward, Phu Quoc City prior to the incident.
Although some locals had warned the group of seven beachgoers of the strong currents there, five of them, including the child, still went swimming.
As the five swimmers were swept away, the two people remaining ashore cried for help.
It took a while before local people managed to bring four of the victims out of the water.
One of them died on the beach while three others were taken to hospital.
At 7:30 pm on the same day, one of the hospitalized people passed away.
Meanwhile, the child remained missing at that time.
The group of seven people in question hailed from the Mekong Delta province of An Giang and were temporarily living in An Thoi Ward, according to the ward's chairman Phan Quoc Thoi.
- White Island volcano eruption missing include Brisbane mother and daughter as New Zealand tour guide victim named
- White Island volcano eruption victim named as New Zealand tour guide Hayden Marshall-Inman
- Seconds before disaster, a camera records hikers inside New Zealand's White Island volcano
- Adelaide family missing following White Island volcanic eruption in New Zealand
- New Zealand White Island volcano recovery crews face debris, dust, winds and the threat of another eruption
- New Zealand volcano eruption: What next for the town living in the mighty shadow of White Island?
- Revealed: How victims of deadly volcano disaster won't be able to sue for damages because of laws protecting New Zealand's multi-million dollar bungee jumping industry
- My personal trainer boyfriend died just hours before our first holiday after he drowned in a shallow pond while out running
- New Zealand White Island volcano victim recovery could begin today, Jacinda Ardern says
- Sixth victim dies after New Zealand volcano eruption on White Island
- New Zealand's Whakaari/White Island victims are all covered by state compensation. Here's why
- New Zealand volcano eruption: How White Island first responders rescued critically injured patients
- New Zealand White Island volcano eruption victim remembered as forensic identification process set to begin
- New Zealand's White Island volcano eruption casts sombre mood aboard Ovation on the Seas cruise ship
- New Zealand White Island volcano tour gets you 'up close' to crater and 'bubbling pits'
- New Zealand White Island volcano tour leader who rescued victims praised as 'superhuman'
- New Zealand launches criminal investigation into deadly volcanic eruption
- New Zealand launches investigation into deadly volcanic eruption
- White Island volcano eruption a 'disaster waiting to happen', Australian expert says
- This is why White Island volcano erupted and why there was no warning
Two dead, child missing in drowning accident off Vietnamese island have 485 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at August 2, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.