The spraying should only be done in narrow spaces where Covid-19 cases have been detected.
Vietnam’s Ministry of Health has required localities nationwide to stop spraying disinfectant in outdoor spaces as an anti Covid-19 measure, calling it wasteful and unfriendly to the environment.
The request is based on the recommendations of the World Health Organization (WHO) and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
A military task force sprays disinfectant on a Hanoi street. Photo: Duy Khanh
“The use of large quantities of germicidal chemicals for outdoor spraying can harm the environment and waste chemical reserves to be used for pandemic prevention,” the ministry said.
The WHO and CDC warned against public disinfection as such practice is not only ineffective but also poses health risks to local residents and harm to the surrounding environment, the ministry reported.
The health ministry said that outdoor spaces like streets and pavements are not considered as “reservoirs of infection” of Covid-19.
The spraying should only be done in narrow spaces where Covid-19 cases have been detected, and the volume of chemicals used must be controlled to ensure safety for human beings as well as the environment, the ministry stressed.
Since the pandemic erupted in Vietnam in early 2020, mass disinfection drives have been carried out in public areas in several provinces and cities.
In the ongoing wave that broke out in late April, Vietnam has logged more than 161,431 Covid-19 cases. Among the latest infections, 1,998 cases were detected in Ho Chi Minh City, which has become the largest epicenter in the country, with 100,557 cases reported so far.
- Revealed: the insidious creep of pseudo-public space in London
- How Can We Stop the Collapse of Nature?
- We're running out of space to bury our dead
- California needs to stop building houses destined to burn
- Fire up the grill and play music from Sonos’ new outdoor speakers
- Walmart to stop some ammo sales, ask to not open carry guns
- Ask Dr. NerdLove: How Do I Date As A Newly Single Dad?
- Why Seattle’s plan to bring Intersection WiFi kiosks and bus stop makeovers stalled
- County Bans Unvaccinated Minors Banned from Entering Public Spaces, a First in the U.S.
- The Ballpark Is The Great American Public Space
- 5 must-ask questions for hiring any AR/VR marketing agency
- Before Buying a Beach House, Ask Yourself These Questions
- Here’s why space engineers come to Seattle … and why some of them leave
- [Updated] It’s Time to Stop Buying Phones from OnePlus
- Why we need to stop judging women who wear makeup to the gym
- Facebook should do more to stop malicious propaganda videos
- The time when America stopped being great
- Recode Daily: Has Facebook stopped growing?
- Politicians have failed us, it’s time for AI to stop school shootings
- Why a New York county banned unvaccinated children from public spaces
Localities asked to stop spraying disinfectant outdoor spaces have 460 words, post on hanoitimes.vn at August 3, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.