WELL, that escalated quickly. One minute the heavily bearded jihadi fruitcakes of the Taliban were playing Angry Birds in a bunch of caves.
Next minute they're running Afghanistan . Walked through the entire hellhole of a country without very many shots being fired.
The Afghan government forces basically ran away. And now a lot of civilians are desperate to get out of the place. (As might you be if the local village idiot suddenly became Prime Minister. Oh . . . hang on)
This is a huge embarrassment for the US and Joe Biden in particular. Possibly the biggest embarrassment in nigh-on a century, although Vietnam runs it close.
Biden clearly didn't have a clue what was going on and nor did US intelligence. Truth is the locals didn't have much faith in the government we propped up for 20 years.
And there's rather more support for the Taliban than the US supposed in rural areas.
Biden — a far worse president than Trump, as the Americans are now realising — has handled this appallingly. My own view is that we should never have got involved in Afghanistan in the first place.
When we meddle in Islamic countries it never works out well for us — or for them.
Most read in The Sun
Some 240,000 people killed as a consequence of our kindness in helping out. And don't forget WE tagged along with the Yanks in this adventure — yessir, yessir, we'll bung some troops in.
Dutiful as always. Just like with that other unholy mess, Iraq. Another war that could never be won and which had no clear objectives.
A terrible waste of lives, time and money in both cases. Their lives and our lives. The truth is I would not waste a single British life to change Afghanistan's government .
Anyway, just out of sight our real enemies — China and Russia — are laughing their heads off.
But the problem now is that we DID get involved. We made promises to the Afghan people that we couldn't possibly keep.
And so we owe them, big time. We have let them down. The maniacs we thought had been vanquished 20 years ago are back — and stronger than ever.
This is why we need to let in to the UK as many Afghan citizens as we can. The Taliban are brutal and murderous. And we told those people they were safe from them. They were not.
I'm no great fan of unconstrained immigration. I think we let far too many people in each year. But there are times when we have a duty, for historical reasons, to open our doors. One of these was Zimbabwe, under the madman Robert Mugabe.
DESPERATE TO GET OUT
Another is Hong Kong, where the people are being deprived of freedom because China will not abide by the treaty it signed with us in 1984.
And now, Afghanistan. We certainly owe it to all those who worked for the British forces and who will now otherwise be killed as a consequence.
But we owe it to the ordinary citizens, especially the kids and the women. What has happened is a stain on our history. If we do not show generosity the stain will be all the larger.
We have a moral duty to take in these people. And once we have done so, make a pledge: No more misty-eyed military involvement in countries we do not remotely understand.
Locals are so chippy
LONDONERS get more and more humourless as the days go by.
I don't know what's wrong with them. They could take offence at a grain of sand.
There's a fish and chip shop in Greenwich called Jack The Chipper. Geddit?
It's being boycotted by snooty locals.
That's because they say it glorifies Jack the Ripper, the notorious murderer of women in the 19th century.
No it doesn't. It's just a joke, a play on words.
What is wrong with these people? Can you imagine a night out with them?
Geronimo back on death row
GERONIMO the Alpaca is back on death row.
A judgment in the High Court has ruled against him.
It is appalling that an animal, a family pet, can be killed with no valid reason.
I think we need another march on Downing Street.
And Geronimo's owner, Helen Macdonald, needs help to continue her legal fight, which is costly.
We must not give in on this. Animals have rights , too.
Teens’ grotty goblin
THE latest trend to hit teenagers is Goblincore. This is a craze that champions "dirt, mud and chaos", apparently.
And moss. And earthworms. Terrific.
As the father of a teen, I would like the next trends to be "keeping your room really tidy" and "eating vegetables".
Can't some young influencer make that stuff cool?
CONGRATULATIONS to Joe Biden. He has moved into pole position for the title of Worst President The US Has Ever Had.
And given some of the nutjobs who've occupied that post, that takes some doing.
When Biden isn't in a kind of coma, he's making weaselly, dishonest speeches to get himself off the hook for the terrible mess in Afghanistan.
He now has the lowest poll ratings ever. Don't bet against another Trump presidency in 2024.
Sean a stand up guy
TERRIBLY sad to read about the death of Sean Lock at the age of 58.
There aren't many stand-up comedians I'd cross the road to see.
But Lock was one of the very few. There was a winningly surreal touch to his jokes.
And always an air of self-deprecation.
Also, he was very funny about animals and I can't resist comedians who make jokes about animals. RIP Sean.
A drag Down Under
NEW Zealand has gone into total lockdown .
Because ONE person in the entire country was found to have Covid.
Meanwhile, Australia's removal from the rest of the world continues.
They are also terrified of the virus afflicting anyone.
They've been in lockdown seemingly forever.
At first these countries were praised for their reactions to the pandemic.
But now they are stuck, trying to completely eradicate a virus that cannot be completely eradicated.
Lily Cole burqa rap
WEIRD-looking model Lily Cole has been attacked for posing in a burqa .
She said she was celebrating diversity . Lots of people even more right-on than Lily say it's in dreadful taste, what with Afghanistan.
But I'm sure one week ago those same types would have SUPPORTED Cole's outfit.
Very occasionally reality crashes into the fantasyland inhabited by these idiots.
- Pulling troops from Afghanistan has undermined Afghan confidence, says former ambassador
- Jake Tapper Talks About ‘The Outpost’ And What It Says About The Ongoing U.S. Mission In Afghanistan: Q&A
- ‘An entertainer should help build the moral fibre of society’
- Replace the Trump reality show with 'Let's Make a Deal'
- Aaron Finch available for BBL start but could be given time off early in competition
- We owe Trump an open mind and a chance to lead: Hillary Clinton
- Rand Paul says Fauci owes parents and students an apology over pandemic measures
- PM announces second lockdown to avoid 'medical and moral disaster': Non-essential shops will shut and travel is banned under restrictions that start on THURSDAY and run for a month with furlough scheme EXTENDED - but schools can still open
- Assassin's Creed Valhalla owes a lot to TV's Vikings
- Start em young! Gisele Bundchen shares unseen photos of her daughter Vivian making green juice in the kitchen as a toddler
- Decluttering to home staging — six tips to flip property & make a big profit
- The bizarro big business of Mark Wahlberg and national tragedy
- Forest Green: the eco-friendly club with a robot mower and big ambitions
- These portable projector deals let you enjoy big-screen video without a TV
- OPINION: Apparently equality is a really big ask for nations that champion "freedom"
- Super cubes: inside the (surprisingly) big business of packaged ice
- Something big is about to happen in Daredevil #25 according to Chip Zdarsky
- Vaccine can't undo damage from COVID-19; it’s time to reset: UN chief Guterres
- From Myleene’s iconic bikini to Vicky’s swimsuit, have YOUR say in I’m A Celebrity’s sexiest shower scene of all time
- How Can A Tenured Professor Become A Homeless Ward Of The State In Just A Few Days?
Let’s take everyone we can from Afghanistan – we morally owe ’em, big time have 1508 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at August 18, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.