TOKYO — Quách Thị Lan, the last Vietnamese athlete still in the Olympics, ended her journey in Tokyo after finishing 6th out of eight runners in the 400m hurdles first semi-final.
Under heavy rain, Lan finished with a time of 56.78 seconds. This is 1.07 seconds and 1.48 seconds less than her previous performance in Heat 3 of the qualifiers and her personal best, respectively.
After a false start, due to Amalie Luel of Norway taking off too soon (she was subsequently disqualified), Lan managed to place sixth beating Linda Olivieri from Italy.
First place belonged to the defending Olympic champion Dalilah Muhammad (USA) with a time of 53.33 seconds while Jamaican Janieve Russell finished second to go through to compete in the final.
Despite being defeated, Quách Thị Lan's journey will be one to remember. She had the best performance in the history of Vietnamese athletics.
Of 40 athletes, Lan was the only athlete to compete in the Tokyo Olympics through a wildcard entry and the only unranked athlete in the top 24 best runners in the semi-finals.
However, with a lot of effort and a little bit of luck – Jamaican Leah Nugent was disqualified for a lane infringement error bumping Lan up to fourth place and through to the semi-finals – Lan became the first Vietnamese person to compete in an athletics semi-final.
This brings to an end Vietnam’s participation at the Tokyo Olympics 2020.
Vietnam's 43-member Tokyo Olympics 2020 delegation including athletes, coaches and staff will return home on August 4. — VNS
- Athletics: Five Nigerians in semi-final
- Alysa Liu tries to quickly get the jump on the Russians before the Junior Grand Prix Final
- England storm to victory! Owen Farrell's men make it to first Rugby World Cup final since 2007 after defeating reigning champs New Zealand 19-7 in Japan – as delirious fans say they knew team would win after 'smirking' captain stared down the Haka
- Brisbane Heat the team to beat on WBBL finals day missing some stars
- Prince Harry joins Japan's Crown Prince Akishino and Prince Albert of Monaco in the stands at Rugby World Cup final while Meghan Markle cheers at home 'with baby Archie in a replica strip onesie'
- How China changed after 2008 Beijing Olympics
- 6th Ballon d’Or for Messi
- Red Gerard soars to slopestyle gold for USA's first medal of Winter Olympics
- Sports Shorts: Federer sends Switzerland into Hopman Cup final
- Paris’s poor neighbour hopes city makes good on Olympic promise
- Stephanie Gilmore beats comeback surfer Tyler Wright in Maui Pro final
- VN's top player Ly Hoang Nam wins historic SEA Games tennis gold
- Strictly's Shirley Ballas: Why Emma will be in the final, but it was Alex's time to go
- When is Call the Midwife on BBC 1 tonight and who’s in the season 8 finale cast?
- Jamaican sprinter Yohan Blake on his past, present and Tokyo Olympics
- Their Perilous Journeys: How 11 “Game Of Thrones” Characters Made It From The First Season To Its Last
- 'Being second at the Olympics came from a strong desire to compete'
- ‘Vikings’ Creator on Bringing Female Viewers to History and ‘Increasingly Emotional’ Final Episodes
- Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez end
- Vikings vs. Patriots final score, takeaways: New England induces another Kirk Cousins stinker
Lan’s historic Olympic journey ends after placing 6th in semi-finals have 548 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at August 2, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.