A Wednesday press release by the German Embassy in Vietnam said the Bayern frigate and its 230-people crew would carry out multiple missions during their six-month deployment, with a focus on strengthening security policy cooperation with partners in the Indo-Pacific region.
“We want to help shape it and to take on responsibility for upholding the rules‑based international order,” said German minister of foreign affairs Heiko Maas, adding that his country would like to expand its partnerships and involvement in the region, including through the EU's Strategic Partnership with ASEAN and consultations on security policy with Japan and Australia.
“And this is why the frigate Bayern is setting sail for Asia today. Its mission is to support us in upholding international law and improving security in the Indo-Pacific together with our partners,” the release quoted Maas as saying.
During the journey, the frigate would visit multiple ports in partner countries, including Vietnam at the end of this year, the release said.
The Bayern is a Brandenburg-class frigate of the German Navy. It weighs 3,600 tons and spans 138.8 meters. It is equipped with several radar and weapon systems, including naval guns and missiles.
- Vietnam in Asia-Pacific’s top 10 for high-quality published research
- Vietnam endorses Australia’s larger role in Asia Pacific: PM
- As World Fights COVID-19, Vietnam Picks Up Bombs of Older War
- Latest Coronavirus News in Vietnam & Southeast Asia May 22
- Vietnam, Canada work to optimise benefits of CPTPP
- South Korean President: THAAD Deployment Not to Undermine China’s Security
- Vietnam prepares to lure back tourists
- Thai researcher eyes affordable, accessible coronavirus vaccine for SE Asia
- Latest Coronavirus News in Vietnam & Southeast Asia May 18
- Latest Coronavirus News in Vietnam & Southeast Asia May 27
- Vietnam, Canada work to optimize benefits of CPTPP
- Vietnam stands firm amid Covid-19 outbreak
- South Korea Not Considering Additional US THAAD Deployments - Foreign Minister
- Vietnam, US forge comprehensive partnership
- Vietnam’s first NVIDIA AI supercomputer launched
- EU tourist hotspots urge Germans to keep vacation plans
- EU tourist hot spots urge Germans to keep vacation plans
- Volocopter and Grab team up to explore air taxi service in Southeast Asia
- As South Koreans Reexamine a 1980 Massacre, Some Ask US to Do the Same
- Is China taking advantage of COVID-19 to pursue South China Sea ambitions?
German frigate to visit Vietnam in Asia-Pacific deployment have 360 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at August 5, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.