Phan Van Mai said the city has increased facilities, human resources, equipment, and medicines, and many district hospitals have been commandeered for Covid treatment, but they all are “overloaded.”
“Offering treatment to all critical patients and a high rate of fatalities are now problems,” he said at a city meeting Tuesday.
The city last month began categorizing patients into five: those who have tested positive just once, asymptomatic, those with mild symptoms, those with underlying medical conditions or comorbidities, and severe cases.
However, with the number of infections increasing sharply, patients are not categorized in time, causing their condition to worsen, sometimes fatally.
Asked by the media at the meeting about the biggest reason for the fatalities, Mai said authorities “are still tracking down data to analyze.”
“For now, the city has yet to come up with a full picture of the situation to draw any conclusions.”
Counting the number of cases every day does not mean much any longer, and “What is more important is that of those who have been admitted for treatment, how many have recovered, how many are severe and how many have died in order to adopt stronger treatment measures to prevent patients from becoming critical or dying.”
The country’s Covid epicenter for a month now, HCMC has recorded 105,095 cases so far in the ongoing wave that began in late April.
As of Monday, the city has had 33,474 patients in hospitals, including 1,026 severe cases who need ventilator support and 15 who need ECMO support.
After the first death in June, the city has so far suffered 1,674, including 170 recorded on Sunday, according to the health authorities.
- Parties urge junta to lift ‘problematic’ political ban
- Thanathorn party ready for lift-off
- Cambodia’s small parties aim for an electoral surprise
- Policies, politics and paranoia: Singapore Democratic Party chairman Paul Tambyah goes On the Record
- Microsoft data warrant case in top US court has global implications
- Food inspections have been sharply reduced, alarming critics
- Jeremy Corbyn’s Labour party is institutionally racist says Chuka Umunna
- G-20, Forged in Crisis, Faces Major Test Next Week – Donald Trump
- Rights advocates worry cyber bills a major threat
- Panels to meet over ongoing agrochemicals problems
- Indonesia a Step Closer to Acquiring $3.85b Freeport Majority Stake
- Obama officials failed to deal with fentanyl crisis as it burned its way across America
- The Meiliana Case: How a noise complaint resulted in an 18-month jail sentence
- Pilots' Actions in Fatal Crash Prompt Questions
- Chicago toddler’s fatal shooting streamed live on Facebook
- Solving problems is human, ignoring the solution is evil
- Xi Focus: Xi delivers resolve, confidence at "critical stage" of poverty alleviation
- Groups urge independent review of missing persons cases in wake of Bruce McArthur charges
- Blow after blow dims re-election hopes of Pakistan's ruling party
- Britain’s Brexit Party is imploding, and Brexit might die with it
Covid critical cases and fatalities now HCMC's major problem: Party official have 454 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at August 4, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.