BEIJING(Bloomberg): China imposed new travel and movement restrictions across the nation, including in its highly protected capital of Beijing, as a delta-driven outbreak grew to over 500 symptomatic cases scattered across 15 provinces and municipalities.
Public transport and taxi services were curtailed in 144 of the worst-hit areas nationwide, while officials curbed train service and subway usage in Beijing, where three new cases were reported Wednesday (Aug 4). Hong Kong re-imposed quarantine on travellers from the mainland, though an exception remained for the southern Guangdong province which neighbours the financial city.
Officials reported on Thursday 94 new local infections detected Wednesday, including 32 asymptomatic infections, adding to the country's broadest Covid-19 threat since the pathogen first emerged in Wuhan in late 2019.
In just two weeks, confirmed cases — people infected and sickened by the virus — have grown to more than 500. The infections can be traced back to three cluster areas in China: an outbreak among airport cleaning staff in eastern city Nanjing, another found at a hospital treating Covid patients in Zhengzhou and sporadic cases detected in Yunnan, the province bordering Myanmar.
Delta has spread to Wuhan, which has been virus-free since China contained the initial outbreak there early last year. The city has detected 12 cases as of Aug 3 and is currently testing its entire population of 12 million people.
Chinese authorities urged people to cancel business trips and vacations, while some colleges around the country have asked students, especially those from high-risk areas, to delay their return to school for the new semester.
- Nearly half college students read less than 30 minutes daily: Survey
- Nearly Half of Americans Think the Country Is Worse Off Now Than at the Start of 2019, Poll Shows
- Nearly half of all illegal immigrants nabbed in Mississippi ICE raid released on ‘humanitarian grounds’
- China's Social Credit System is pegged to be fully operational by 2020 — but what will it look like?
- China's ambitious bid for Southeast Asia hegemony
- US trade frictions dealt with proactively: China
- Factbox: How China tariffs on U.S. commodities, energy stand after Phase 1 trade deal
- How China tariffs on US commodities, energy stand after Phase 1 trade deal
- Breakthrough in US-China trade war
- Many U.S. firms in China eyeing relocation as trade war bites: survey
- Taiwan president rues lack of progress with China
- The United States and China may be headed for a currency war
- California wineries shut out from China amid trade war
- China backed efforts to defuse Indo-Pak tensions post-Pulwama attack: Wang
- Xi makes country's voice heard
- India leaves China way behind in births on Jan 1: Unicef estimate
- India leaves China way behind in births on Jan 1: Unicef
- The China factor in Africa: Partner or economic predator?
- Trump sees Africa for markets, plots to checkmate China
- China unveils rules for corporate bond default disposal to cut risks
China imposes restrictions as Delta reaches nearly half the country have 445 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at August 5, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.