Hanoi (VNA) – More than 20 meetings of foreign ministers within ASEAN and between ASEAN and partner countries have taken place from August 2-6.
During the meetings, considered among the most important ones of the ten-member grouping in the year, countries have discussed the ASEAN Community building, reviewed and oriented ASEAN's external relations, and looked into regional and international issues of shared concern.
Minister of Foreign Affairs Bui Thanh Son headed a Vietnamese delegation to the events.
The countries assessed the implementation of ASEAN's priorities this year and showed their support for the initiatives raised by Brunei – ASEAN Chair 2021 – to cope with disasters, boost multilateralism and the Fourth Industrial Revolution, and promote the identity of the ASEAN Community .
The ministers spent much time debating cooperation in COVID-19 response and post-pandemic recovery. They stressed the need to enhance the exchange of experience with partners in vaccine research, development, production and distribution.
They agreed to continue realising outcomes reaped last year, including the review of the implementation of the ASEAN Charter, the building of the post-2025 ASEAN Community Vision, and strengthening sub-regional cooperation.
The countries reiterated the values of ASEAN-led mechanisms, as well as ASEAN's centrality in enhancing dialogue and cooperation. They consented to establish a dialogue partnership with the UK and a sectoral partnership with Brazil.
Given complex developments in the East Sea, the ministers affirmed their consistent stance on settling disputes via peaceful measures in line with international law, including the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (1982 UNCLOS), called on parties to exercise self-restraint, and not to use or threaten to use force, and reiterated the significance of fully and effectively observing the Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the East Sea (DOC), working towards an effective and substantive Code of Conduct in the East Sea (COC).
For the Myanmar issue, the countries said ASEAN wants to help Myanmar overcome difficulties and seek solutions to the present complexity, for people's interests.
The ministered shared the view on the need to quickly provide humanitarian aid for Myanmar in response to COVID-19, through the ASEAN Coordinating Centre for Humanitarian Assistance on disaster management.
Minister Son stressed that solidarity and unity are the foundation for ASEAN's strength, especially in difficult times, which is clearly demonstrated in the current fight against COVID-19.
Emphasising the importance of vaccines, he suggested ASEAN optimise cooperation opportunities with partners, particularly in the vaccine procurement and transfer of vaccine production technologies.
ASEAN needs to carry forward the role of ASEAN-led mechanisms, he said, proposing a review of operational procedures of these mechanisms to maintain their targets, values and roles.
Son stressed an environment of peace, security and stability is the prerequisite to effectively ward off the pandemic, spur recovery and maintain regional growth.
On August 3, ASEAN foreign ministers will hold meetings with ASEAN partners namely the Republic of Korea, China and Japan./.
- ASEAN 2020: 53rd ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting held online
- ASEAN 2020: 53rd ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting opens in Hanoi
- Deputy FM talks agenda for 53rd ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting
- ASEAN Foreign Ministers issue statement on floods, landslides in Southeast Asia
- Joint Communiqué of the 53rd ASEAN Foreign Ministers' Meeting
- 53rd ASEAN foreign ministers' meeting kicks off online
- ASEAN 2020: 10th Meeting of East Asia Summit Foreign Ministers held
- Speech by Deputy PM, Foreign Minister Pham Binh Minh at AMM-53 opening session
- ASEAN 2020: 10th Meeting of East Asia Summit Foreign Ministers’ held
- Iran’s Foreign Minister Zarif Slams Macron for ‘Fuelling ‘Cult of Hatred’ by 'Insulting Muslims'
- Nord Stream 2 Project 'Will Be Completed', German Foreign Minister Maas Says
- PM Nguyen Xuan Phuc welcomes UK foreign minister
- Amid border clashes, Jaishankar to meet foreign ministers of China, Russia
- Ukraine's border is open to Belarusians, says foreign minister
- Vietnamese and UK foreign ministers agree to deepen strategic partnership
- Vietnamese, Malaysian foreign ministers hold virtual talks
- Coronavirus: Belgium's foreign minister and former prime minister Sophie Wilmes in intensive care
- Saudi Foreign Minister Expresses Support for a Palestinian State Based on the 1967 Borders
- There are several alternatives to closing borders, foreign minister says
- G7 Foreign Ministers Call on Russia to Establish Transparency on Alleged Poisoning of Navalny
ASEAN Foreign Ministers to have hectic week have 749 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at August 2, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.