Hanoi (VNA) – Brunei's second Minister for Foreign Affairs Erywan Yusof has been appointed as the special envoy of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to Myanmar.
The role of the ASEAN envoy to Myanmar was stated in a press release dated August 4. He will be tasked with building trust and prestige between the sides, and devising a detailed schedule to carry out the five-point consensus in a bid to settle the crisis in the Southeast Asian nation.
During a virtual meeting on August 2, ASEAN foreign ministers underlined an urgent need in stepping up the implementation of the five-point consensus reached by ASEAN leaders, especially on humanitarian aid for Myanmar people.
In early June, Yusof and ASEAN Secretary-General Lim Jock Hoi travelled to Myanmar to discuss methods that ASEAN can apply to help Myanmar reach peaceful solutions through effective and timely implementation of the consensus, notably the appointment of ASEAN Chair's envoy, as well as support to create favourable conditions for constructive dialogues between all sides in Myanmar and the provision of humanitarian aid to the country.
The crisis in Myanmar began after the military detained Aung San Suu Kyi and other senior figures from the ruling National League for Democracy (NLD) on February 1. After seizing power, the military imposed a one-year emergency and pledged to hold general elections and transfer the power./.
- ASEAN deadlocked in selection of special envoy to Myanmar
- Asean deadlocked in selection of special envoy to Myanmar
- US calls for ASEAN action on Myanmar, rejects China maritime claims
- US Calls for ASEAN Action on Myanmar, Rejects China Maritime Claims
- US calls on Southeast Asian nations to take action on Myanmar
- Indonesia calls on ASEAN to appoint envoy for Myanmar
- Myanmar crisis a wake-up call for Asean to stop abdicating its role in region
- US rejects China maritime claims, calls for ASEAN action on Myanmar
- Blinken urges Myanmar action in ASEAN meeting with its envoy
- South China Sea: Beijing dumping 'human waste' in disputed waters - Can be seen in space
ASEAN appoints Brunei diplomat as special envoy to Myanmar have 344 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at August 4, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.