Residents of Anchepalya village on the outskirts of the city staged a protest on Thursday demanding the construction of a metro station close to the village. They accused the Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation Ltd. (BMRCL) of not fulfilling their demand.
Protesters blocked traffic and some of them even climbed on to a metro pillar to display banners.
"When the metro project was sanctioned, initially a station was proposed near our village, but it was cancelled to favour a real estate project near Chikkabidarakallu, which is 1.5 km away from the village. After choosing a new location to construct the station, BMRCL assured us that they would build a road from our village to the station. But now we have learnt they are not providing the roads as the builder has not agreed to provide the land," said Akash Gowda, one of the protesters.
Under phase II of Namma Metro, BMRCL is extending the Green Line from Nagasandra metro station to BIEC on Tumakuru Road. On the line, three stations are under construction at Manjunathanagar, Chikkabidarakallu, and Madavara (BIEC). Villagers said that by not constructing the metro station as per the original alignment, around 30,000 people in the area will be affected.
Due to the protest, traffic on busy roads was disrupted in the morning. A BMRCL official assured villagers that their grievances would be heard by the Managing Director. Last year, too, the villagers had staged a protest with similar demands.
Chief PRO B.L. Yeshwanth Chavan said as per the plan, land acquisition process is under way for the link road, but there are legal hurdles. "We are hopeful of clearing the hurdles and providing road access as planned."
- Namma Metro commuters seek more amenities
- Small cell stations proposed for Baton Rouge, but amount to charge telecom companies still being debated
- Metro Council sets $250 annual rate for small cell equipment placed on public property
- MMRDA to revisit alignment of Metro 5 corridor
- ‘Ply mini buses from the station’
- Metro Exodus: The Two Colonels Story DLC Is Now Available
- Govt panel wants stay on metro carshed in Aarey Colony lifted
- Residents panic as crisis broke out in Amukoko
- $1-billion plan for North Hollywood station takes shape
- Metro Denver residents drive more despite rise of transit services — hampering efforts to cut air pollution
- 'Simply unacceptable': Disturbing footage emerges of semi-conscious junkies openly shooting up in front of commuters in vomit-covered BART station as San Francisco struggles to contain its homeless problem
- State Timeout On Gas Pipeline Sought By Prince William Residents
- Baton Rouge mayor hits pause on AT&T's 'small cell' towers after complaints from residents
- Doctor who lost wife to kidnappers donated police station to his community
- 'Why put a liquor store there?' Plank Road residents press for higher standard for development
- New CNG station near Kherki Daula toll plaza to cause jams, says concessionaire
- New London mayor could face a legal challenge after election day blunder by Tory-run council saw furious voters turned away from polling stations
- Editorial: Prevent self-dealing in metro districts with this simple fix
- Boeing’s Starliner puts itself in the wrong orbit, won’t reach space station
- Bengal students allegedly assaulted for demanding resumption of Saraswati Puja stopped since 2009
Anchepalya residents demand metro station have 520 words, post on www.thehindu.com at August 20, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.