At the Olympic men’s 61 kg category Sunday, Tuan failed to register a total. He could only complete the snatch by lifting 126 kilograms. In the clean and jerk event, he failed thrice.
Before Tuan entered the competition, many experts said he needed to reach a total of 298 kg to claim the bronze medal. To achieve this, Tuan would only have to perform as usual. The 27-year-old even reached 304 kg at SEA Games 2019, so it seemed like scoring an Olympic bronze would not be a challenge. However, disaster struck.
The weightlifter who won the bronze medal this year, Kazakhstan's Son Igor only lifted a total of 294 kg. In normal form, Tuan could easily surpass this mark.
Speaking to Tuoi Tre newspaper, Do Dinh Khang, general secretary of Vietnam Weightlifting Federation, said Tuan failed due to his mentality. Khang affirmed that if Tuan was confident and showed what he got, he would have claimed the medal.
“Thach Kim Tuan and Hoang Thi Duyen faced a lot of difficulty during their Olympics preparation. In late April when returning from Olympic qualifiers in Uzbekistan, both athletes had to stay in quarantine for over 40 days. They were unable to train during those days and when they finished quarantine, only got a month to train. Also in the past two years, they didn’t compete much in international tournaments due to Covid-19,” Khang said.
Vietnamese weightlifting will now put all hopes on Duyen, who will compete in the women's 59 kg category on Tuesday.
- Brownlee brothers blame injury after Commonwealth triathlon failure
- Without COVID-19 vaccine, there can't be any sport: Sharath Kamal
- High-flyer quits job to create app for seasonal workers
- Katie Price shocks Celebrity SAS: Who Dares Wins viewers by revealing she had a FIFTH kidnap threat just weeks before filming (before she accidentally flashes her nipple)
- Slowdown hampering sluggish divestments
- Bracing for counterfeit trends and protecting IP ownership
- CNBC believes Vietnam will avoid recession after early containment measures
- Party serves as the decisive factor of the 1975 Spring Victory
- Why can't we treat the NHS's forgotten patients? Thousands of operations are cancelled and heart, stroke and cancer victims miss vital treatment despite empty hospitals (and dancing nurses who find time to make viral videos)
- Sports in times of COVID-19: From Sachin Tendulkar to Bhaichung Bhutia: Top Indian stars foresee new normal
- AIBA acted in haste - BFI reacts after India lose 2021 men's World Championship hosting rights
- The Untold Secret Of Great Leaders
- Kirwan wants to provide a stumble-free path
- Coronavirus: Excess fatalities in Italy rise well above official death toll
- 11pm Man Utd news LIVE: Bruno Fernandes a ‘warrior’, Sancho transfer UPDATE, Henderson £60m dilemma, Kane latest
- Coronavirus live updates: SF to require testing at nursing homes
- Coronavirus live updates: San Francisco to require testing at all nursing homes
- STEPHEN GLOVER: If only our ministers could admit to mistakes and say they ARE sorry
- Coronavirus latest: Italy's mortality rate rises nearly 40%
- Announcement of Party Central Committee’s 6th plenum
Weak mentality main reason behind Vietnamese weightlifter's Olympic failure have 482 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at July 26, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.