Kamala Harris will become the first United States vice-president to visit Vietnam to boost ties during a trip that will also include Singapore next month, the White House announced Friday.
During the trip, the vice-president will discuss with the leaders of Vietnam and Singapore regional security, the global response to COVID-19, climate change, and joint efforts to promote a rules-based international order, the White House said.
The trip to the two Southeast Asian countries is aimed to strengthen relationships and expand economic cooperation with two critical Indo-Pacific partners of the U.S., Harris's spokeswoman Symone Sanders said in a statement.
The visits will also enhance the strong cultural and people-to-people relations between the U.S and these countries, the statement said, without providing details on the dates of the trip.
"Vice-President Harris will be the first vice-president to ever visit Vietnam," said Sanders.
"President Biden and Vice President Harris have made it a top priority to rebuild our global partnerships and keep our nation secure, and this upcoming visit continues that work," the White House said.
The specific dates for Harris's trip are still being worked on, Reuters said, citing diplomats.
The travel to Vietnam and Singapore by Harris demonstrates the U.S.'s long-term commitment to a prosperous and secure Southeast Asia, the Straits Times quoted Dr. Patrick Cronin, chair for Asia-Pacific security at the Hudson Institute in Washington, as saying.
Harris's visit would be significant to highlight Washington's commitment to Southeast Asia, Reuters cited analysts as saying.
Some analysts also think that it could result in more pledges of U.S. vaccines to this region, which has recently suffered from COVID-19.
The upcoming trip of Harris is the second international trip in office after she visited Guatemala and Mexico in June in an effort to lower numbers of migrants from this area to the U.S.
- Kamala Harris Was Top Hollywood Draw In Q1
- The Top 10 women Joe Biden might pick as vice president, ranked
- Kamala Harris: 2020 Election About ‘Whether We Live or Die’
- Here's Who Voters Think Joe Biden Should Pick as His Vice President
- CBS News poll: Elizabeth Warren tops Democrats' wish list for Biden's vice president
- Vice President visits anti-pandemic force of Hanoi Capital High Command
- Carrie Severino calls out 'egregious' double standard from Kamala Harris, Democrats on Biden sexual assault allegation
- Trump Says Biden Should Pick Elizabeth Warren For Vice President
- Vice President visits Deputy Supreme Patriarch of Vietnam Buddhist Sangha
- Vice President visits anti-pandemic force of Hanoi Capital Command
- Harris pushes for task force addressing racial disparities in coronavirus pandemic
- Biden campaign announces vice presidential selection committee
- Indian-American Congresswoman endorses Biden for president
- The South of Vietnam always in President Ho Chi Minh's heart
- Biden says vice presidential committee 'looking at more than a dozen women'
- Meghan and Harry biography bombshell for Royals: Couple help two 'friendly' journalists write their Megxit story amid fears they're out to settle scores
- Film News Roundup: ‘Maze Runner’ Director Boards ‘First Fifteen Lives of Harry August’
- US political circles optimistic about Vietnam’s economy
- The betrayal of Harry Dunn: HARRY COLE reveals the full shameful story of the Foreign Office's incompetence and double-dealing in letting the teen's US killer off – and a letter to the PM from the dead boy's twin brother
- The South of Việt Nam always in President Hồ Chí Minh's heart
US Vice-President Kamala Harris to visit Vietnam in August have 571 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at July 31, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.