The number of new Covid-19 cases reported in the U.S. on Friday was the highest since the depths of the winter surge on Jan. 16, with hospitalizations and deaths also on the rise.
There were 194,608 new Covid cases reported around the U.S. on Friday, according to Johns Hopkins University , bringing the seven-day rolling average for new cases above 103,000, the highest it's been since Feb. 7.
More than 48,000 people are now hospitalized with Covid in the U.S., according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, which remains well below the more than 130,000 who were hospitalized during January’s record peak.
The seven-day rolling average for deaths is around 300, according to the New York Times , up from an average of 175 deaths a day earlier this month.
What To Watch For
A number of counties and cities across the U.S. have reversed course after easing restrictions earlier in the pandemic, with several reinstating mask mandates , while the U.S. Centers for Disease Control urged people in places with high transmission rates to wear masks in public indoor spaces, regardless of vaccination status, which could lead to more mask mandates. President Joe Biden announced Thursday that his administration will require all federal workers, contractors and members of the military to get vaccinated against coronavirus or submit to frequent testing — a precedent that could add to the momentum for vaccine mandates at private companies and the local government level.
The highly contagious delta variant is now responsible for nearly all Covid-19 cases in the U.S., leading to what public health officials have called a “pandemic of the unvaccinated.” But while the vast majority of those being hospitalized and dying from Covid-19 are unvaccinated, concerns are growing over how easily the fully vaccinated might unwittingly spread the virus. A CDC study released Friday found that 74% of cases in a recent outbreak of the delta variant in Massachusetts were among vaccinated people , and they had viral loads as high as unvaccinated people who were infected. The study was a factor in the CDC's tightening of its masking guidelines .
The delta variant is also believed to lead to more severe infections among young people, and there’s been a concerning trend of hospitals primarily in southern U.S. hot spots reporting a surge in children being hospitalized with Covid-19. Jacksonville, Florida, for instance, reportedly set a new record this week for children hospitalized.
- New visualizations show worst-case scenario for sea levels by 2100
- CDC Report Offers New Insights Into Last Winter's Historically Deadly Flu
- New York's worst landlord: About time feds cracked down on Iran's U.S. cash cows
- Officials move quickly to stem spike in number of sick raccoons found in Central Park
- Meet the Woman Who 'Went Viral' for Supposedly Breaking the NBA’s Locker-Room Reporting Barrier
- Mayor Bloomberg recounts night of tears as child, pushing New Yorkers to report suspected abuse
- Lyme disease on the rise in New York as 20% more cases reported: Dept. of Health
- Worst buildings escape reinspection despite spike in construction deaths
- Neuromorphic computing finds new life in machine learning
- New Yorkers think Mayor de Blasio is too distracted from City Hall: poll
- New homes sales hit record low for January: Commerce Department
- Brooklyn fears crime wave as nearly all precincts report spike in felonies
- Elevators in New York City Housing Authority projects in sad shape
- Measles cases near record number: Almost 100 more people fall ill
- Why Your Team Sucks 2018: New England Patriots
- Construction of new homes plunges to record lows
- Geography puts New York in 'danger zone' for hurricane
- NYC sees slight spike in ER visits but too soon to know if swine flu is back, say health officials
- How New York got congestion pricing, and why Boston should be next
- Feds: New York airports have the most flight delays
U.S. Reports Almost 200,000 New Covid Cases In Worst Spike Since January have 723 words, post on www.forbes.com at July 31, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.