HÀ NỘI — One million doses of Sinopharm’s COVID-19 vaccine Vero Cell arrived in HCM City on Saturday, as part of a deal to acquire five million doses, the health ministry has announced.
Early in July, the health ministry gave permission for the State-owned Saigon Pharmaceutical Group (Sapharco) in HCM City to import the doses. They were partially paid for using money donated to the national COVID-19 vaccine fund by Vạn Thịnh Phát Holdings Group. This was authorised by HCM City People’s Committee, according to local media reports.
Vạn Thịnh Phát is a private company with a diverse portfolio headquartered in HCM City’s District 1. Its founder, and chairman of the board, Trương Mỹ Lan, is a Vietnamese of Chinese origin.
With this latest batch of vaccines, HCM City's total number of doses received has hit three million. This is the biggest share of the country’s available stockpile of 16 million doses and enough to cover 22.3 per cent of the city’s residents above 18 years old, according to the health ministry.
Vero Cell was approved for emergency use by the WHO in May, and given conditional approval for use in Việt Nam on June 4. The first 500,000 doses donated by the Chinese Government to Việt Nam have been used for Chinese nationals living and working in the country, Vietnamese residents in border areas with China , and people who engage in trade and service exchanges with Vietnam’s northern neighbour.
In 2021, HCM City is earmarked to receive 13.8 million doses, which will cover 99 per cent of people over 18 years old.
The city is set to receive a further 5 million doses of vaccine in August.
HCM City, the current epicentre of the fourth wave of infections with daily new COVID-19 cases reaching over 4,000 in the past few weeks, has administered 1.5 million doses of vaccine, with about 75,000 people being fully inoculated.
In the latest guidelines issued for HCM City, the health ministry has asked that all people from 18 years old in the city be vaccinated, with priority given to frontline workers, the elderly or people with underlying health conditions.
Private sector medical units will also be enlisted to speed up the vaccination progress.
A special vaccination-support working group from the health ministry has also been sent to HCM City. — VNS
- Scientists are already working on a coronavirus vaccine - but warn it will likely be years before there is a shot to prevent the contagious illness which has so far killed 17 people
- Iran denies coronavirus cover-up after lawmaker claims 50 patients have died from the infection in just one city – but officials say the true toll nationwide is only 12
- Health Secretary Matt Hancock confirms anyone who has to self-isolate because of coronavirus WILL get sick pay
- Large increase in demand for flu vaccine leads to rationing in Victoria, New South Wales
- Human trials of coronavirus vaccines could start next MONTH in the UK and US in global race to stop the killer disease which has infected 94,000 people worldwide
- Ministry dismisses Andrew Wakefield's criticism over Wales measles outbreak
- NSW extends availability of flu vaccine as coronavirus concerns spread
- Flu vaccine stocks to be boosted after early rush saps supplies across Australia
- The True Dollar Cost of the Anti-Vaccine Movement
- Forcing suspected coronavirus patients into quarantine 'could cause long-term mental health problems including PTSD, depression and drug abuse'
- Coronavirus could strike every country on the planet as it teeters on the edge of a pandemic, warns World Health Organisation after an explosion of nearly 1,000 infections in Europe in a week
- Laboratory monkeys are infected with a lethal coronavirus as scientists work round-the-clock to find a vaccine for killer strain as death toll tops 2,600
- Coronavirus epidemic 'has PEAKED in China' says World Health Organisation - but warn the rest of the world to prepare for a 'potential pandemic'
- How health officials and social media are teaming up to fight the coronavirus 'infodemic'
- Is the killer coronavirus now disease X? World Health Organization expert warns the infection is 'rapidly' fitting category for the mysterious pathogen scientists fear will kill 80million
- How Would New York City Respond to the Coronavirus?
- How Will New York City Respond to the Coronavirus?
- Coronavirus threatens paracetamol shortage: Misery for millions of hungover Brits as outbreak wreaks havoc with supply chains in Asia
- Coronavirus: Iran's deputy health minister tests positive as outbreak worsens
- Flu Vaccine Less Than Half Effective: Flu Report In California
One million doses of Sinopharm vaccine arrive in HCM City, health ministry urges faster vaccination have 737 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at July 31, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.